Court upholds life term for man who raped, killed daughterOctober 23rd, 2011 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 23 (IANS) Dismissing the plea of a man who killed his daughter after raping her in 2005, the Delhi High Court has upheld the rigorous imprisonment for life awarded to him by the trial court.
A division bench of Justice B.D. Ahmed and Justice Veena Birbal dismissed the appeal filed by Mangal Singh in an order made available Saturday and said that the circumstantial evidence led to inescapable conclusion that it was he who murdered his daughter after committing rape upon her.
“No case for interference is made out. Appellant has been rightly convicted by the sessions judge for murder and rape. We find no merit in the appeal and the same is dismissed,” said the bench.
The bench based its conclusion on a medical report which indicated that Mangal Singh killed his daughter after raping her.
“The appellant owed a duty to explain how a dead body which was the result of a homicide happened to be on his shoulder. The absence of a credible explanation on his part, in the peculiar circumstances of this case, points towards his guilt,” the court said.
Upholding the trial court’s conviction and sentence order in 2009, the bench relied upon the statement of Mangal Singh’s neighbours who had last seen the victim in the company of her father.
On the night of Oct 10, 2005 the neighbours heard Mangal Singh scream at his daughter and some of them even saw him carrying the victim on his shoulder in an unconscious state, the prosecution said.
The court accepted the testimony of prosecution witnesses Rakesh and Kuldeep Kumar who told the court that Mangal Singh admitted before them that the girl was not his daughter and he strangled her.
- Probe lapses not fatal to case if guilt proved: SC - Aug 02, 2012
- Circumstantial evidence should be conclusive: Supreme Court - Jan 15, 2012
- Nithari killings: Apex court sends Koli to the gallows (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Pushkin Chandra killing: Life term for two upheld - Oct 31, 2011
- Shivani Bhatnagar murder: Ex-cop R.K. Sharma walks free - Oct 12, 2011
- Two President's Bodyguards get life term for rape - Aug 24, 2012
- Sheep thief acquitted of charge of shepherd's murder - Feb 02, 2011
- Priyadarshini Mattoo case: Supreme Court commutes death sentence to life imprisonment - Oct 06, 2010
- Gujarat court frees man sentenced for killing wife - Apr 06, 2010
- Mattoo rape-cum-murder: Sentence reduced from death to life term (Third Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- (HOLD) Delay in appeal outcome no ground for exoneration in murder: SC - Sep 08, 2012
- Circumstantial proof must stand on its own feet: Apex court - Jun 15, 2011
- Verdict on appeal of Shivani murder case convicts Wednesday - Oct 11, 2011
- Court upholds life term for nurse's rapist (Lead) - Nov 23, 2011
- Rapist priest jailed for seven years - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: ahmed, birbal, case points, circumstantial evidence, credible explanation, delhi high court, division bench, homicide, inescapable conclusion, kuldeep kumar, mangal singh, medical report, neighbours, peculiar circumstances, prosecution witnesses, rakesh, rigorous imprisonment, trial court, unconscious state, veena