Court turns down plea of 200 failed studentsDecember 2nd, 2011 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) In a setback to hundreds of students of the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, the Delhi High Court Friday turned down a petition of over 200 students, refusing to promote the unsuccessful students to the next session.
A bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw declined to give relief to the students saying: “It was the university policy decision. So the court cannot interfere with the decision.”
The petitioner students came from various professional colleges affiliated to the university and belonged to the 2009 and 2010 batches.
The petitioner alleged that the university had different criteria for promoting professional course students from colleges run by it and those studying in colleges affiliated to it.
“These students are aggrieved by the credit system which has been evolved by the university as a criteria for promotion. The university has introduced a scheme that every student should have a minimum of 50 percent credit for the current year and overall 90 percent credit of previous years to get promoted to the next academic year,” said the petition.
“The credit System is not based on performance-based grading neither there were equal number of grades in each semester. These two aspects of the credit system make implementation of the System extremely arbitrary and leading to disastrous consequences,” said the petition
The university maintained an extremely high pass marks of 50 per subject. The rationale behind such high pass marks was arbitrary, illegal and unconstitutional. There was no reassessment or revaluation, the petition said.
- Court reserves order on students plea against varsity - Nov 18, 2011
- Court provides relief to Indraprastha University students - Sep 14, 2010
- Court notice to Delhi University on M.A. Music entrance test - Nov 20, 2011
- Apex court declines plea against Delhi varsity semester system - May 30, 2011
- Court questions Delhi University on semester system (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- No contempt move for now, Delhi college teachers told - May 16, 2011
- Delhi University gets court notice on lab assistant's plea - May 17, 2011
- Court reserves order on DU sports quota guidelines (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Court upholds CBSE abolition of Class 10 exams - Sep 01, 2011
- Court reserves order against DU teachers - May 12, 2011
- Delhi varsity, teachers issued notice on semester system - Oct 27, 2010
- Central varsities' OBC quota petition to be heard Monday (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Court declines plea on blocking of web pages - Sep 05, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi University on teachers' attendance - Aug 29, 2012
- Court allows rusticated MBBS student to sit for exam - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: batches, chief justice, course students, delhi high court, disastrous consequences, guru gobind singh, guru gobind singh indraprastha, guru gobind singh indraprastha university, petitioner, policy decision, previous years, professional colleges, professional course, rajiv, reassessment, revaluation, sahai, setback, singh indraprastha university, unsuccessful students