Court to monitor autorickshaw ban in West BengalJanuary 9th, 2009 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 9 (IANS) The Calcutta High Court Friday directed the West Bengal government to file a progress report on how it was implementing the ban on two-stroke autorickshaws in the city.A two-member division bench of the high court, comprising Chief Justice S.S Nijjar and Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghosh, ordered the state government to submit a report every 15 days, which would be scrutinised from time to time.
It said the state government’s request for extension of time till July 31, 2009 will be considered in the next hearing. The division bench directed that till further orders no auto rickshaw with valid document and registration would be seized.
Earlier, the high court issued an order July last year to ban commercial vehicles registered before Jan 1, 1993, from Kolkata and its outskirts.
It said that all auto-rickshaws, irrespective of their date of registration, will have to convert to either compressed natural gas (CNG) or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).
The order was to be implemented by Dec 31, 2008, in the Kolkata Metropolitan Area, which includes parts of North and South 24-Parganas, Howrah and Hooghly.
The court issued the order after the state environment department had placed before the high court a notification (in July 2008) for freeing the city of severe automobile pollution.
It is estimated that around 80,000 auto-rickshaws, 24,000 taxis and over 8,000 buses and mini-buses would be affected by the implementation of the court order.
- Auto-rickshaws older than 10 years banned in Ranchi - May 15, 2012
- Kolkata auto unions threaten protests against court's ban - Dec 31, 2008
- Kolkata auto-rickshaw drivers protest ban, set bus ablaze - Jan 02, 2009
- Kolkata auto-rickshaw drivers protest ban, Trinamool calls strike (Lead) - Jan 02, 2009
- West Bengal to seek time to phase out old autorickshaws - Dec 26, 2008
- Court dismisses petitions against GPS systems for Delhi autos - Sep 17, 2012
- Delhi's autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3 - Jul 20, 2012
- New Delhi's CNG drive worsened some vehicles' climate impacts: Study - Mar 02, 2011
- Bengal government offers sops to transporters owning old vehicles - Jan 22, 2009
- Trouble brewing in Kolkata over ban on old vehicles - Jul 09, 2009
- Mamata launches sit-in protest near Buddhadeb's house - Jan 03, 2009
- Autorickshaw operators set buses ablaze in Kolkata - Jan 03, 2009
- Violent protests by autorickshaw operators in Kolkata, buses set ablaze (Lead) - Jan 03, 2009
- 30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani city - Jul 22, 2012
- Auto, taxi fare charges likely to increase in Delhi - Jul 25, 2012