Court takes tough stand against rogue tenantsAugust 5th, 2008 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 5 (IANS) Taking a tough stand against rogue tenants who make false statements to avoid eviction by their landlords, the Delhi High Court Tuesday said courts must effectively intervene to stop this practice. Justice S.N. Dhingra said: “In cases where a tenant takes a different stand in court to defeat the efforts of the landlord to get the premises vacated at the time of need, such an effort must be curbed by the courts effectively by binding the tenant with his earlier statement in respect of the same premises. The tenant’s plea of raising a dispute in respect of the rent admitted by him should not be heard and entertained.”
The court directed Aruna Sarna, a tenant in a Dwarka society flat, to vacate the house within a month to landlord K.S. Patcha.
“The courts and rent controller must keep in mind that the courts cannot be converted into a wrestling field for a trial of tricks where the court has to act as an umpire,” Dhingra ruled.
The court took a serious view after it found that Sarna had admitted that the rent fixed by Patcha as per the agreement was Rs.3,700 in a civil court, but in another case filed before the rent controller, Sarna said the rent was fixed for Rs 3,100 per month.
Patcha, a retired Central Public Works Department (CPWD) employee, stated that he had rented out his house as he was in a government accommodation and after retirement he sought possession of the house.
However, Sarna did not allow him to take possession nor did he pay the rent for months.
- Apex court upholds needy landlord's right to evict tenant (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Inflation no reason to increase rent, rules court - Feb 20, 2012
- Collect power dues before tenant vacates premises: Court - Jun 14, 2011
- Delhi court evicts tenant from ex-official's flat - Jul 01, 2012
- Throw out corrupt subordinate court judges: Apex court (Lead) - May 10, 2011
- From 340 rooms to four, temporary digs await Pratibha Patil - Jul 20, 2012
- Sonal Mansingh's eviction case to be heard again - Sep 12, 2011
- Court pulls up tenant for questioning landlord's social status - Jan 22, 2009
- Tenant can apply for separate water connection: Court - Feb 21, 2010
- Court pulls up tenant for occupying shop illegally - Sep 08, 2009
- Journalist, pregnant wife attacked - Jul 07, 2012
- Pratibha Patil's new Pune retirement home not yet ready - Jul 22, 2012
- High alert sounded in Kolkata after blasts (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Wary of frivolous cases, landlords keeping houses vacant: Court - Jul 09, 2011
- Court fines tenant for harassing owner - Mar 01, 2010