Court summons programme director of Colors TV channelOctober 13th, 2008 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Oct 13 (IANS) A local court Monday summoned the programme director of TV channel Colors over a controversial dance number “Ravana-Sita”, performed by off-spinner Harbhajan Singh and TV actress Mona Singh, for allegedly hurting the sentiments of a religious community.The programme director was summoned with all the required records Oct 23.
The court of Chief Judicial Magistrate had admitted the criminal complaint, filed by the radical Hindu organisation Vishwa Hindu Parishad and a non-government organisation Global Human Rights Council, Friday against the performers of the reality show. Colors has also been named in the complaint.
The court started to weigh the evidence in the case Monday.
Harbhajan, popular in cricket circles as Bhajji, and his dance partner Mona Singh, both of whom are Sikhs, had last week performed a number on the dance reality show “Ek Khiladi, Ek Hasina” depicting themselves as mythological demon-king Ravana and Lord Ram’s wife Sita.
In Hindu mythology, Ram’s wife Sita was abducted by demon-king Ravana.
Radical Hindu organisations objected to the dance number that allegedly mocked religious sentiments. It drew condemnation and called for an apology from the highest temporal seat of the Sikh religion - the Akal Takht.
The head of the Akal Takht said both celebrities had offended Hindus and Sikhs and should apologise for their act.
- Court admits complaint against Harbhajan-Mona 'Ravana-Sita' dance - Oct 10, 2008
- Harbhajan, Mona Singh get court summons for 'Ravana-Sita' dance - Feb 05, 2009
- NGO to appeal against court's clean chit to Harbhajan - Sep 02, 2009
- TV actress Mona Singh chased with summons in Chandigarh - Sep 16, 2009
- Harbhajan-Mona Singh's 'Ravana-Sita' dance upsets Sikh clergy - Oct 08, 2008
- Harbhajan served court summons in Chandigarh - Nov 02, 2009
- Harbhajan Singh continues to play with fire - Oct 10, 2008
- Harbhajan apologizes for 'Ravan-Sita' dance - Oct 20, 2008
- Harbhajan, Mona Singh are 'Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena' winners - Oct 26, 2008
- Congress opposes move to summon PM to Akal Takht - Sep 05, 2011
- Ravana in high demand on Dussehra for different reasons - Oct 17, 2010
- Sikh body wants action against Ajay Devgn - Aug 29, 2012
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- West Bengal artists perform dance depicting killing of demon king - Oct 20, 2010