Court summons former army chief in defamation case (Third lead)June 8th, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) A Delhi court Friday issued summons to former army chief Gen. V.K. Singh in a defamation case filed by Lt. Gen. (retd) Tejinder Singh.
Metropolitan Magistrate Jay Thareja issued summons for July 20 to V.K. Singh and four others in the defamation case. However, the court rejected the allegation of criminal conspiracy, saying that it was absurd.
“In the light of aforesaid discussion and the discussion in the order dated May 18, all the respondents are summoned as accused in the present matter,” said the court. The court added that a criminal conspiracy by respondents “appears to be absurd and without any foundation”.
“The accused are only being summoned qua offence described under section 499 (defamation) read with section 35 (criminal intention) of the Indian Penal Code,” said the court.
Lt. Gen. (retd) Tejinder Singh has requested the court to summon and initiate proceedings against the former army chief and others for allegedly making libellous statements against him in the media and accusing him of bribery.
Alleging that the officers misused their official position, power and authority to level false charges against him, Lt. Gen. Tejinder Singh also named Army Vice Chief Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh, Director General Military Intelligence Lt. Gen. B.S. Thakur, Additional Director General Public Information Major Gen. S.L. Narsimhan and Directorate General of Public Information Staff Officer Lt. Col. Hitten Sawhney.
The court while summoning the former Army chief and four others, observed that the documents related to approval of press release published March 5 was missing.
The army chief has disclosed in the press release that he was offered a kickback of Rs.14 crore by a retired defence officer in exchange for clearing a tranche of 600 sub-standard vehicles.
Denying all the allegations, Tejinder Singh has said that in the press release of March 5 Army HQ publicly accused him and a group of serving officers of the Military Intelligence (MI) of conspiring to create a rift between Army chief General V.K. Singh and the government.
The Army HQ has said the “fabricated fiction” was put out by a group of disgruntled serving officers of MI working in connivance with a retired Lt Gen, who was a head of Defence Intelligence Agency.
The retired Lt Gen denied the allegation against him in the plea and filed a defamation case against the five March 27.
The secretary, Ministry of Defence June 6 submitted documents related to publication of the said press release in the courts.
The court noted that the said documents did not contain any office noting or copy of any rule regarding approval of the press release by the chief of Army staff and others.
“On account of the absence of any such office noting or copy of any rule, the aforesaid testimony of the complainant has been believed at this stage, because being a former head of Military Intelligence, the complainant has knowledge to depose about practice and procedures being followed at the Army Headquarters regarding publications of communications like the press release,” said the court.
The court said that offer of bribe made by complainant to V.K. Singh would not have percolated down to the respondents, Narsimhan and Sawhney, if the former Army chief had not told them. The court observed that the statement made by Ministry of Defence undersecretary R. Sunder as a witness in the case, the complicity of V.K. Singh, S.K. Singh and Thakur are prima facie deducible from the use of words “highest levels of army” in the publication of said press release followed by approval by a hierarchy.
The court said that after perusing the evidence brought on record during the recent court hearing, it has found sufficient material to proceed against all the respondents.
- Court summons former army chief in defamation case (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Court summons former army chief in defamation case (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Files sought in army chief defamation case - May 18, 2012
- Court to rule on summoning of army chief May 5 - Apr 26, 2012
- Defamation case: V.K. Singh, four officers get bail - Jul 20, 2012
- Former army chief opposes plea to cancel his bail - Aug 24, 2012
- Court reserves order on further probe in case against army chief - May 25, 2012
- Cancellation of ex-army chief's bail sought - Aug 08, 2012
- Court reserves order on Tejinder Singh's plea (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Army ex-chief faces court, granted bail in defamation case (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Suit against army chief shifted to another judge - May 07, 2012
- Court dismisses former army chief's plea - Aug 28, 2012
- Court order on plea against army chief April 26 - Apr 21, 2012
- Tejinder's plea against army chief sent to another court (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Defamation case: Bail for Gen. V.K. Singh, four officers (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: army chief, army hq, bribery, court summons, criminal conspiracy, crore, defamation case, delhi court, directorate general, false charges, indian penal code, kickback, magistrate, military intelligence, position power, public information staff, section 35, staff officer, tejinder singh, vice chief