Court summons Delhi’s chief fire officerJuly 16th, 2008 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday summoned the chief fire officer after the fire department failed to take any action against those buildings in the capital that have not complied with fire safety norms. A division bench of Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S. Muralidhar sought detailed affidavits from the concerned civic departments and also summoned the respective senior officers from the Delhi Development Authority (DDA), New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) and Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) on Sep 12, the next date of hearing.
The bench was hearing a public interest petition seeking direction to the fire department for taking measures against more than 200 buildings in the capital which have allegedly violated the fire safety norms.
In the earlier hearing, the MCD submitted a status report before the bench and admitted it had examined 2,377 building, whose height was above 15 metres, and found more than 200 buildings violating the safety norms.
The court also asked the fire department to take action against the violators and file an Action Taken Report. However, till date neither the fire department nor any other civic agency has taken action against the violators.
- Set up committee to prevent waterlogging, says high court - Aug 28, 2012
- Court halts sealing of illegal buildings in Ahmedabad - May 09, 2011
- High Court's nodal agency for food catering vans - Feb 03, 2012
- Give licences to food vans, court tells MCD - Mar 22, 2012
- Chandigarh man on MCD rolls surprises court (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Day after rain chaos, MCD plays blame game - Sep 16, 2011
- 300 engineers to be trained to spot unsafe buildings - Apr 24, 2012
- Court refuses to interfere in Ahmedabad demolition drive - Nov 18, 2010
- Norms for film shooting in Delhi to become easier - Sep 12, 2012
- Delhi High Court stays MCD circular on cycle rickshaws - Mar 02, 2012
- Court questions government on workers' welfare - Jan 19, 2011
- Delhi government, DDA, MCD get contempt of court notice - Nov 24, 2011
- Hygiene in Delhi: Court notice to civic agencies (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- MCD asked for report on sealing drive - Apr 02, 2011
- Court refuses to shield Metro premises from sealing - Jun 09, 2010