Court summons bureaucrat over deportation camp’s dirty stateDecember 4th, 2008 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday summoned the secretary of the social welfare department of the Delhi government for not complying with its orders to remove the lack of basic facilities in the foreigner deportation camps here.A division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S. Muralidhar asked the social welfare secretary to appear in person Dec 10, the next date of hearing.
Eleven foreign nationals approached the court July 9 through a letter alleging lack of facilities in the deportation camp in the national capital.
The court had converted the letter into a public interest petition.
Arvind Nigam, amicus curiae, that is a lawyer appointed by the court to help it in the matter, in his report submitted that there was lack of basic facilities like water supply and electricity at the camp despite the court’s earlier directions.
“The food served in these camp … is of worst quality. There is no soap for washing hands and there is no cleanliness in the camp too,” Nigam submitted in his affidavit before the court.
The camp is maintained by the Foreigners Regional Registration Office of the government of India.
- Government pulled up for poor facilities at deportation camp - Dec 11, 2008
- Court gets draft guidelines to protect detained foreigners - Mar 24, 2010
- Court summons customs official on foreigners' deportation - Apr 05, 2010
- Court worried over foreigners in deportation camps - Sep 03, 2009
- Police rapped for not releasing Pakistani national - Mar 10, 2010
- Court tells official to respect detained foreigners' liberty - Apr 06, 2010
- Rehabilitate sex workers, Supreme Court tells states - May 04, 2011
- Court asks government to ensure basic facilities at deportation camp - Jul 30, 2008
- Issue orders to check khap panchayats, SC urged - Jul 16, 2012
- Government evasive on Ramdev eviction, apex court told (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- I was denied legal help, Kasab tells apex court (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Notice to Delhi bureaucrat for contempt of court - Sep 17, 2008
- Trial court's death penalty verdict flawed: Kasab - Feb 14, 2012
- Kasab attack was war against nation, Maharashtra tells SC - Feb 15, 2012
- Why detained Pakistanis, others, not deported, asks court (Lead) - Oct 04, 2009