Court stops screening of Satyajit Ray’s ‘Sikkim’November 11th, 2010 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 11 (IANS) Within minutes of the first public screening of Satyajit Ray’s documentary “Sikkim” at the 16th Kolkata Film Festival, its remaining shows during the event were suspended following a direction by a Sikkim court, an official said.
An order by the district judge court of Gangtok has forced the festival authorities to suspend the remaining shows of the documentary at the film festival, the official said.
“We have received orders from the district judge court of Gangtok via email and we have been directed not to screen ‘Sikkim’. We have received an ad interim injunction order from the court in the evening today (Thursday),” Nilanjan Chatterjee, director, Kolkata Film Festival, told reporters.
The hour-long film’s screening at Nandan auditorium here started around 2 p.m. and the court’s order was received around 3.20 p.m.
“We have contacted the law cell of state government. They are looking into the matter. So we are suspending the rest of the shows of ‘Sikkim’ from Nov 12-17. The matter is in court, I won’t comment further on it,” Chatterjee said.
Made by Satyajit Ray in 1971, the documentary was banned by the external affairs ministry in 1975 when the Himalayan kingdom became a part of India.
It was commissioned by the last Chogyal (king) of Sikkim, Palden Thondup Namgyal, and his America-born queen Hope Cooke. It was soon banned by the Indian government and remained in the cans after that.
The film festival’s schedule will not be hit in any way after the withdrawal of “Sikkim”, said Chatterjee.
- One more screening of 'Sikkim' at Kolkata Film Festival - Nov 16, 2010
- 'Shooting with Satyajit Ray was a lifetime experience' - Nov 12, 2010
- Banned Satyajit Ray Sikkim film screened in Kolkata lands in copyright row - Nov 12, 2010
- No one in India has Satyajit Ray's 'Sikkim' print: Son - Sep 18, 2010
- Ban on Satyajit Ray's film 'Sikkim' lifted - Sep 18, 2010
- Satyajit Ray's 'Sikkim' not screened at Kolkata film fest - Nov 17, 2008
- 16th Kolkata film fest kicks off; Kurosowa, Tagore in focus - Nov 10, 2010
- 127 films from 38 countries to be shown at Kolkata film fest - Nov 02, 2010
- Indo-Americans welcome lifting ban on Satyajit Ray's documentary on Sikkim - Sep 20, 2010
- 3,000 films to be digitised under film heritage mission: Soni - Sep 16, 2011
- Sri Lankan filmmaker to make Bengali film - Nov 17, 2010
- Now a festival on Buddhist philosophy, aesthetics - Apr 18, 2012
- Dhaka says it with films on Satyajit Ray's death anniversary - Apr 23, 2010
- Kolkata Film Festival 2010 Will Screen 127 Films From 38 Countries - Nov 03, 2010
- 'Dhobi Ghat' closing film at River to River film fest - Nov 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,