Court stops Goa from privatising hospitalAugust 12th, 2011 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 12 (IANS) The Bombay High Court in Panaji Friday put a stop to Goa’s first attempt to partly privatise a district hospital, directing the government to reconsider the tendering process adopted to lease out healthcare premises to a private medical care agency.
The order of the Panaji bench of Bombay High Court also asked the Goa government to set aside the letter of intent given to the Mumbai-based Radiant healthcare company Limited, which was awarded the controversial tender to operate the Asilo district hospital, located 15 km from here, on a public private partnership (PPP) basis.
The high court decision caps several months of controversy surrounding the privatisation process in which the opposition has accused Health Minister Vishwajeet Rane of receiving kickbacks for awarding tender.
A lower court had already ordered the filing of a first information report (FIR) against health secretary Rajiv Verma, and two senior bureaucrats, including state health director Rajnanda Desai, for a potential loss of more than Rs.700 crore over two decades, during which the hospital was to be managed by the private player.
Ahemadabad-based Shalby hospitals, a rival bidder to Radiant healthcare company, which had lost in the tendering process earlier this year, had also petitioned the high court, claiming that the tendering process was rigged.
- FIR ordered against officials in hospital privatisation case - Jul 23, 2011
- Goa government's PPP hospital project in trouble - Jun 16, 2011
- ICICI Lombard to insure 3.5 lakh homes in Goa - Jun 13, 2011
- Goa minister accused of fraud in privatising hospital - Feb 03, 2011
- IT sleuths raid Goa cabinet minister's office, factory - Jan 06, 2011
- Goa's universal mediclaim scheme by Sep 30: Minister - Sep 16, 2011
- Israel firm's Rs.140 crore hospital project under scanner - Aug 05, 2010
- Israeli firm's $31 mn Goa hospital project under scanner (Lead) - Aug 05, 2010
- Will sue BJP leaders over mining charge: Goa minister - Oct 10, 2011
- Opposition grills government over Israeli firm building hospital - Jul 29, 2010
- Two new faces, 2 defectors in Congress list for Goa - Feb 04, 2012
- Goa to monitor swine flu cases after death of woman - Aug 04, 2010
- Former AIIMS director to shape Goa's health policy - Aug 29, 2012
- South Asians more prone to knee arthritis: Expert - Sep 10, 2011
- Goa on alert after Pune swine flu outbreak - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: bombay high court, bureaucrats, company limited, crore, desai, goa government, health minister, health secretary, healthcare company, information report, kickbacks, letter of intent, panaji, private medical care, private player, public private partnership, rajiv, rane, state health director, tendering process