Court stops demolition of school buildingJune 15th, 2011 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, June 14 (IANS) The Gujarat High Court Tuesday stayed an Ahmedabad school building’s demolition as it made no alternative arrangements for the students. A petition alleged that the school was being razed to build a temple.
Justice D.H. Waghela came down heavily on the state authorities and observed that the school (J.K. High School) had been partly demolished without obtaining prior permission.
In February, the school’s land was sold by its trustees to Shri Swaminarayan Sarvopari Siddhant Digvijay Trust, which allegedly wanted to build a temple in its place.
The court said the new make-shift arrangement was not suitable for the students. “It appears that the entire exercise has been carried out deliberately to deprive the students of their right to education,” the judge observed.
The court, while hearing a petition filed by a school student, also asked counsels appearing for the state and the Gujarat Secondary Education Board to find a way out so as to see that the students do not suffer.
The court directed the trust not to demolish the school building and maintain status quo till the matter was heard finally.
- Gujarat asked to accept CBSE pass students' job forms - Jun 04, 2010
- Rehabilitate students of demolished school: Court (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Supreme Court stays 'strange' Babri Masjid verdict (Roundup) - May 09, 2011
- Gujarat ITI staff entitled to bonus, rules high court - Jan 17, 2011
- Court rejects petition challenging land acquisition for RIL - Mar 04, 2011
- Supreme Court bars opening of Kerala temple's sixth vault - Jul 08, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Babri Masjid-Ramjanmbhoomi verdict (Lead) - May 09, 2011
- Apex court stays 'strange, surprising' Babri verdict (Intro Roundup) - May 09, 2011
- Court allows man caught copying to appear in interview - May 04, 2010
- Gujarat High Court pulls up its own registry - May 11, 2010
- Gujarat's gets a Golden Temple - May 05, 2012
- Gujarat to challenge Pandya case accquittals - Sep 13, 2011
- Supreme Court stays 'strange' Ayodhya verdict (Second Lead) - May 09, 2011
- Shutdown in parts of Hyderabad on Babri anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Customs official gets court rap for 'frivolous litigation' - Apr 22, 2010