Court stays trial of Italian marines till July 30July 24th, 2012 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, July 24 (IANS) The Kerala High Court Tuesday stopped till July 30 the trial of two Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen in February.
The fishermen were allegedly mistaken as pirates and shot dead Feb 15 off Alappuzha in Kerala by the marines, who were serving as the security crew aboard Italian cargo vessel Enrica Lexie.
Justice C.T. Ravikumar, while staying the marines’ trial, observed that it was the right of the accused to get Italian translation of the witnesses’ statements.
Their trial is being held in a Kollam sessions court.
Counsel of the two marines had approached the high court against the verdict of the sessions court that the Italian translation of the statements of the prosecution witnesses in the case could not be given to the accused.
The high court issued notice to the state government and posted the hearing to July 30.
The marines were granted bail by the high court Feb 15.
Marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone were granted bail on the conditions that they would provide Rs.1 crore each as security besides giving two Indian sureties.
The court asked the two marines to surrender their passports and told them not to leave the area falling under the jurisdiction of Kochi city police commissioner.
They were told to report to the police commissioner everyday between 10-11 a.m.
- Italian marines get bail (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 30, 2012
- Italian marines get bail - May 30, 2012
- Kerala court dismisses pleas of Italian Marines - May 29, 2012
- No compromise on trial of Italian marines: Krishna - Jun 27, 2012
- Italian marines 'unjustly' held in India: President - Jun 08, 2012
- Kerala court denies bail to Italian marines (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Kerala court dismisses pleas of Italian Marines (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- India infringing Italian law: minister - May 31, 2012
- Italian Marines can't be tried in India: Counsel - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Italian ship Enrica Lexie cannot be allowed to leave' - Mar 15, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian Marines extended - Apr 02, 2012
- Italian marines may be shifted from jail to remand home - May 24, 2012
- Italian marines' bail plea rejected, remand extended to May 25 - May 11, 2012
- Italian crewmen sent to 14 days custody - Feb 20, 2012
- Italian ship not to be let off until Monday, orders court - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: alappuzha, cargo vessel, city police, girone, indian fishermen, italian translation, kerala high court, kochi, latorre, lexie, marines, passports, police commissioner, prosecution witnesses, ravikumar, rs 1, salvatore, sessions court, state government, sureties