Court stays new Shirdi temple board of trusteesMarch 30th, 2012 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Aurangabad (Maharashtra), March 30 (IANS) In a major embarrassment for the state government, the Aurangabad Bench of the Bombay High Court Friday stayed the new board of trustees for the world famous Shirdi Saibaba temple.
“The court has stayed the new board of trustees till further orders as certain norms have not been framed for the committee,” Shri Saibaba Sansthan Trust (SSST) lawyer R.N. Dhorde told IANS.
Accordingly, till the next decision in the matter, a three-member panel will oversee the work of SSST, which manages the work and administration of the world famous Saibaba temple of Shirdi, Dhorde said.
Friday’s ruling was given by a division bench comprising Justice Bhushan Gavai and Justice S.P. Deshmukh and comes barely three days after the state government hurriedly appointed a new committee late Tuesday.
Siddheshwar Thombre, lawyer for the petitioner, said norms for the appointment of members to the SSST board have not been framed and hence the court granted a stay order.
The state government appointed a new board to replace the old set, which had been sacked by the court March 13, and to meet the May 28 deadline set by the court.
Veteran Congressman Jayant Sasane, who was chairman in the outgoing board, had made a comeback to the post for another three years, besides two other trustees who were retained in the 17-strong SSST board.
The court order had come in a public suit filed by social activist Sandeep Kulkarni, who alleged that the SSST managing committee misappropriated funds worth Rs.2 billion, among other things.
One of the richest religious trusts in the country with assets worth nearly Rs.20 billion, the SSST is the governing and administrative body of the world famous Shri Saibaba’s samadhi temple and all others temples in the premises, and devotes itself towards development of Shirdi village and surroundings.
The official said, on an average, the temples collected around Rs.12.50 million per day in offerings and donations.
- Court sacks 18 Saibaba temple trustees (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Shirdi temple: new trustees appointed (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 28, 2012
- Shirdi temple gets new trustees (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Shirdi temple: new trustees appointed - Mar 28, 2012
- Mumbai businessman offers silver throne for Shirdi Saibaba (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Court sacks 18 Saibaba temple trustees - Mar 13, 2012
- Shutdown in Shirdi, villagers go on hunger strike - Apr 20, 2011
- Travelator to make Shirdi Sai Baba temple visit hassle-free - Nov 09, 2011
- Shirdi temple trust to honour Tendulkar - Apr 04, 2011
- Saibaba's sandals will not be taken to Britain - Aug 23, 2010
- Saibaba Temple gets diamonds worth Rs.1.18 crore - Aug 01, 2012
- Shirdi's Sai Baba temple goes green with solar steam cooking system - Oct 20, 2010
- Replica of Shirdi Sai Baba temple in Mumbai - Dec 14, 2011
- Apex court reserves verdict on Kerala temple treasure (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Court stops demolition of school building - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: administrative body, aurangabad, bhushan, bombay high court, deshmukh, division bench, jayant, maharashtra, managing committee, member panel, new committee, outgoing board, petitioner, samadhi temple, shirdi saibaba temple, shirdi temple, shri saibaba sansthan, social activist, ssst, temple board