Court slams petitioner seeking change in constitutionMarch 9th, 2011 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) The judiciary cannot command the legislature, said the Delhi High Court Wednesday on a petition filed by an aspiring civil servant who wants the central government to amend constitutional provisions related to right to equality.
“We cannot command the legislature to amend the constitution. You have made sweeping and general observations in the petition which is nothing less than a running commentary,” said the division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna, asking the petitioner to withdraw the plea.
After identifying petitioner Praveen Kumar Singh in court, the judges asked him various questions related to the French Revolution but he had no answers.
“Before talking about the rights of the poor, you first visit places like Balaghat (Madhya Pradesh), Kalahandi and Bolangir in Orissa to know the first-hand account of their plight,” said the bench.
“Persons of under-privileged class are being ignored and virtually insulted and humiliated in public places, in offices and other social gatherings,” said the petition.
- Court refuses to take up plea on NDMC - Jan 19, 2011
- Plea questioning creation of NDMC dismissed - Sep 12, 2011
- Delhi High Court rejects plea seeking spot for peaceful protests - Aug 17, 2011
- Delhi government questioned on school kids using intoxicants - Mar 23, 2011
- Court rejects plea against tax on marriage marquees (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Order reserved on recording court hearings - Jul 06, 2011
- Notice to Delhi government on plea to make helmet compulsory - Aug 24, 2011
- Court serves notice in nurse's certificate case - May 12, 2011
- Jamia to continue with its minority status: High Court - May 18, 2011
- Kalmadi's plea to attend parliament dismissed (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Plea seeks spot for peaceful protests in Delhi - Aug 16, 2011
- 'Premature' plea against RIL's exploration licence rejected (Lead) - Sep 05, 2011
- Court questions government on plea to help jail inmates (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Plea on right to property dismissed - Oct 18, 2010
- Delhi High Court rejects petition on Lokpal bill - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: central government, chief justice, civil servant, constitutional provisions, delhi high court, dipak, division bench, french revolution, general observations, judiciary, madhya pradesh, misra, New Delhi, orissa, petitioner, plight, privileged class, sanjiv, slams, social gatherings