Court sets aside divorce granted to manApril 11th, 2011 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 11 (IANS) The Delhi High Court has set aside the divorce granted to a man on the ground that his wife filed a criminal case to harass him and his family members following a matrimonial dispute.
Justice Kailash Gambhir was hearing an appeal filed by Ruchi (name changed) challenging the 2009 decision of a trial court to grant divorce to her husband.
Her husband said the criminal cases lodged by his wife amounted to harassment and cruelty.
“This court does not find any merit in the reasoning given by the learned trial court that since there were more criminal cases filed by the appellant (wife), therefore, filing of such criminal cases would constitute cruelty to the respondent (husband),” Justice Gambhir said in an order delivered Friday and made available Monday.
Counsel for Ruchi S.K. Bhalla said that the she and her husband got married April 14, 1994 in Delhi.
“After a few years, their relationship turned sour, following which her husband moved a petition before the trial court seeking divorce” which was granted in May 2009, said Bhalla.
The high court accepted Ruchi’s argument that the circumstances, including an alleged assault on her and attempt by the accused to kill her, forced her to register criminal cases against her husband and his family members.
The court rejected her husband’s submission that his wife started harassing him soon after the marriage on one pretext or the other.
- Woman accused of affair with godman granted divorce - Jul 09, 2011
- Court pulls up parents for meddling in daughter's life - Feb 19, 2011
- Can't ignore kin's evidence in matrimonial dispute: SC - Jul 05, 2012
- After 30 years, 85-year-old granted divorce - Jan 13, 2011
- Buy wife separate house or go to jail: Court - Jun 25, 2010
- Woman gets Rs.6.7 mn as maintenance - Dec 24, 2009
- A judge couple gets divorced - Apr 02, 2012
- Bail plea of man held for wife's death rejected - Apr 11, 2011
- Share retirement funds with estranged wife, court tells man - Oct 29, 2011
- Army officer surrenders in dowry case - Nov 15, 2011
- Court denies bail to man responsible for wife's death - Nov 20, 2009
- Court quashes man's life term for dowry death - Oct 27, 2011
- Dowry harassment law misused for extortion: Court - Oct 09, 2011
- Madhur Bhandarkar to face trial in rape case - Mar 22, 2012
- Three commit suicide as daughter-in-law files case - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: alleged assault, april 14, bhalla, circumstances, criminal case, delhi high court, family members, gambhir, harassment, kailash, marriage, New Delhi, petition, pretext, relationship, respondent, submission, trial court