Court serves notice to Kutch port over grazing landFebruary 11th, 2011 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Feb 11 (IANS) The Gujarat High Court on Friday issued notices to Mundra Port Special Economic Zone (MPSEZ) and the union and state governments over the sale of village grazing land in Navinal village of Kutch district. Chief Justice S.J. Mukhopadhyaya and Akil Kureshi issued the notice in a public suit filed by Fakir Mammad Suleiman Sameja and others, residents of the village.
The petitioners, through their counsel A.J. Yagnik, submitted that the grazing land sold to MPSEZ, owned by the Adani Group, violated the constitutional provisions and no alternative step has been taken to help the villagers.
Out of 276 acres of the land, the state government sold 231 acres of land to MPSEZ leaving 45 acres for grazing, the petition said.
Even though the state government had acknowledged that the grazing land in Navinal village is inadequate and alternative arrangement is required, no such grazing land has been allocated, the villagers said in the petition.
The inadequacy is to the extent of 712 acres of land considering the number of cows and buffaloes in the village, the court was told.
The accepted ratio is 40 acres of land for 100 grazing cattle. As per the 18th animal census, Navinal village had 1,894 cattle.
The petitioners’ counsel claimed that even at the time when land was demanded by MPSEZ, the collector had informed the state government about inadequate grazing land.
“However, without making alternative arrangement, 231 acres of grazing land and 358 acres of waste land were allocated and sold to MPSEZ, leaving the grazers and the cattle in the lurch. This is in violation of every norm and every law,” the petition said.
The court has posted the matter for March 14.
- Court rejects villagers' plea against Gujarat project - Jun 23, 2011
- Mundra Port SEZ gets halt order on green clearance - May 09, 2012
- SC notice to Haryana government on mosque land - Jun 18, 2012
- Review of plea against Nirma plant after apex court ruling - Jul 01, 2010
- Calcutta High Court admits dengue PIL, asks state about measures - Sep 07, 2012
- Haryana villagers happy after Subhash Ghai's land allotment revoked - Sep 19, 2012
- Farmers from Mayawati's village move court - Jul 28, 2011
- Cheap land for MPs challenged in Gujarat court - Oct 13, 2010
- Gujarat court clears decks for Nirma cement plant - Sep 27, 2010
- Court rejects petition challenging land acquisition for RIL - Mar 04, 2011
- Court stops demolition of school building - Jun 15, 2011
- Apex court stays cancellation of Jaipur's Jal Mahal lease (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Supreme Court declines to hear Bhatta-Parsaul probe plea (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Tata moves Supreme Court on Singur land - Jun 28, 2011
- Subhash Ghai's Haryana plot cancelled (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: adani group, akil, animal census, buffaloes, cattle, chief justice, constitutional provisions, cows, district chief, grazers, grazing land, gujarat high court, inadequacy, kureshi, kutch district, lurch, petitioners, special economic zone, state government, state governments