Court sends self-styled godman to police custodyMarch 16th, 2010 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 16 (IANS) A city court Tuesday sent self-styled godman Shiv Murat Dwivedi, who called himself Ichchadhari Sant and is accused of running a prostitution racket, to police custody till March 20 for interrogation related to his website content.
Additional Sessions Judge S.K. Sarvaria decided to send Dwivedi, 39, to police custody after investigators produced the case records.
Police earlier sought the custody of Dwivedi, arrested with six women and a man from south Delhi Feb 26, to verify the contents of the website run by him.
Dwivedi, who has been booked under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), was brought to the court after the expiry of his judicial custody.
Under the MCOCA, an accused cannot apply for bail for six months from the day of his arrest and a police officer of the rank of deputy commissioner can only record his confession which can be used as evidence in the court.
Dwivedi, who belongs to Chitrakoot in Uttar Pradesh, came to New Delhi in 1988 and initially worked as a security guard. He was arrested on charges of running a prostitution racket in 1997 and 1998.
He then changed his appearance and started calling himself Ichchadhari Sant Swami Bhimanand Ji Maharaj Chitrakoot Wale. Under the cloak of spirituality, he again started a flesh trade racket, police said.
- Court extends 'godman's' police custody - Mar 09, 2010
- Delhi court dismisses godman's plea to drop MCOCA charges - Mar 26, 2012
- Self-styled godman linked to sex racket sent to jail - Mar 15, 2010
- Court sends self-styled godman to police custody (Lead) - Mar 16, 2010
- 'Godman' held under tough law for sex trade - Mar 07, 2010
- Court allows separate cell for self-styled godman - Mar 25, 2010
- Self-styled godman's accomplice claims threat to life - Mar 23, 2010
- Court dismisses transfer plea of 'godman' (Lead) - Mar 08, 2010
- Delhi court dismisses godman's transfer plea - Mar 08, 2010
- Air hostesses among eight held for prostitution - Feb 26, 2010
- 'Godman' in sex racket in police custody - Mar 04, 2010
- Priest arrested for raping mentally unstable woman - Mar 15, 2010
- Delhi police to invoke MCOCA against godman Dwivedi - Mar 07, 2010
- Swamis in scandals: What keeps the faith? - Mar 25, 2010
- Court acquits don Dawood Ibrahim's 'aide' - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: case records, cloak, confession, crime act, deputy commissioner, expiry, flesh trade racket, godman, interrogation, judicial custody, man from south, murat, New Delhi, police custody, police officer, prostitution, security guard, south delhi, swami, wale