Court sends cop to jail, says men in uniform flouting lawFebruary 9th, 2012 - 12:42 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) A Delhi court has awarded two years’ rigorous imprisonment to a traffic police constable for assaulting and illegally detaining a woman, observing that everyday newspapers publish reports about men in uniform flouting the law.
The constable and his friend forcibly confined a woman from Odisha to a car, after she sought lift for reaching her house in 2010.
“New Delhi, the capital of India, is visited by people not only from other states but also from abroad. Every day it is published in newspapers that people in uniform are flouting the law,” said District Judge H.S. Sharma in an order made available Wednesday.
The judge sentenced constable Manoj Kumar to two years’ imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs.13,000, saying it will be an eye opener for the erring police officials.
The court observed that the woman, a resident of Odisha, had trusted the constable to help her reach home, but he took advantage of her weakness.
People trusted police in the hope that they being in a disciplined force would adhere to the rule of law, the judge said.
“One can imagine the plight of a helpless person suffering at the hands of a person who is none other than a police official,” said Sharma.
The court held Manoj Kumar guilty of assaulting the woman, intent to outrage her modesty, criminal intimidation and wrongful confinement, and awarded a year’s jail to the policeman’s friend Sudhir Singh Gahlot.
On May 23, 2010, evening, Manoj Kumar asked the woman to sit in a car on the pretext to dropping her home.
“Instead of dropping her near her residence, Manoj on false pretext of driving her to her house kept her locked inside the car. She was dropped near her residence at 3 a.m. the next day,” said the victim’s complaint, alleging that the constable ouraged her modesty.
- 2 cops accused of assaulting lady officer surrender - Sep 24, 2010
- Woman kills five children, commits suicide - Oct 07, 2011
- RCB player Luke Pomersbach gets bail - May 19, 2012
- Delhi cop on shooting spree kills two, self (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Pipili case: Charge sheet filed against dismissed cop - May 11, 2012
- Three traffic constables suspended for assaulting woman officer (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Court slams 'shameless' cop for misbehaving with woman - Mar 19, 2011
- Another Rajasthan woman wants annulment of child marriage - Jun 27, 2012
- Cop made to do frontrolls in court area, lawyers file complaint (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Chandigarh citizens haul up errant cops on Facebook - Jun 11, 2011
- Cop made to do frontrolls in court area, lawyers file complaint (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Rapist leaves scar on woman's chastity: Court - Sep 02, 2012
- Delhi staged shootout: Rs.15 lakh each for two victims' kin - Jul 04, 2011
- Woman molested in Delhi hospital - May 29, 2012
- Indian-origin men 'rape Oz woman in car' - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: capital of india, confinement, criminal intimidation, delhi court, district judge, eye opener, false pretext, flouting, manoj kumar, modesty, New Delhi, plight, police constable, police official, police officials, policeman, rigorous imprisonment, rule of law, sudhir, traffic police