Court seeks report on water-logging in DelhiAugust 7th, 2012 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday asked civic agencies to file a report within a week about steps taken to de-silt drains and prevent water-logging during monsoon.
Judges S.K. Kaul and Vipin Sanghi said the three municipal corporations and the New Delhi Municipal Council “are directed to file a status report within a week and then the court will appoint a committee to verify (its)veracity”.
The order came while hearing a contempt plea filed by an NGO charging the civic agencies with non-compliance of a July 11 order, directing them to take steps to end the problem of water-logging in Delhi in 15 days.
NGO Nyaya Bhoomi president B.B. Sharan asked the court to initiate contempt of court proceedings against the officials of the civic bodies.
Counsel for the MCDs, however, told the bench that the civic agencies had taken the steps to solve the problem of water logging.
The counsel for NDMC said no complaint of water logging had been reported in its area.
The court posted the matter for Aug 21.
The bench also asked agencies to make their officials accountable for not performing the task. “Unless you make these officials accountable, nothing can happen,” the court noted.
Earlier two petitions were filed by Nyaya Bhoomi and advocate Gaurav Kumar Bansal seeking an end to the problem of water-logging, and accusing the civic agencies of doing precious little to prevent it.
- Court seeks report from civic agencies on water-logging - Jul 11, 2012
- Court slams Delhi civic agencies for waterlogging (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Set up committee to prevent waterlogging, says high court - Aug 28, 2012
- Delhi sets up panel to check waterlogging - Sep 05, 2012
- Court asks Delhi authorities to file ATR on water logging - Aug 01, 2012
- Hygiene in Delhi: Court notice to civic agencies (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Delhi government, DDA, MCD get contempt of court notice - Nov 24, 2011
- Hygiene in Delhi: Court issues notices to civic agencies - Dec 14, 2011
- Court questions MCD on Yamuna bank enclosures - Feb 23, 2012
- Are Delhi agencies geared to tackle monsoon? - Jul 06, 2012
- Dikshit alerts civic agencies before monsoon - Jun 14, 2012
- Dikshit tells civic agencies to gear up for monsoon - Jun 13, 2011
- Court orders permanent commissions for three IAF women officers - Mar 13, 2012
- Chandigarh man on MCD rolls surprises court (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Illegal hookah bars to be raided, police tell Court - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: bansal, bhoomi, civic agencies, civic bodies, contempt of court, contempt plea, court proceedings, delhi high court, drains, kaul, mcds, monsoon, municipal corporations, ngo, nyaya, sanghi, sharan, veracity, vipin, water logging