Court seeks land details of Jor Bagh shrine (Lead)February 1st, 2012 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 1 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday sought the original files from the Delhi Development Authority and the state government about the land allotted to a shrine and its management in south Delhi’s Jor Bagh area.
The court was hearing a public interest litigation filed by residents of B.K. Dutt Colony alleging that some people had encroached public land in the name of performing religious works and had indulged in violence against them.
On Jan 15, at least 25 people, including a woman and some police officers, were injured in clashes between police and Muslim devotees who wanted to enter the shrine allegedly built on public land.
The division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice R.S. Endlaw also directed the area police station chief to maintain law and order, saying that he would be held responsible for any untoward incident took place.
Advocate appearing for the petitioners said: “Once the demarcation order is passed there should not be any encroachment, they should confine to Kanati Masjid and the Chhoti Karbala.”
Referring to the violence last month, the residents’ petition said that they were living in fear but police had not been able to protect them.
“During these times most of the residents of the colony live in the fear of their lives and women and children do not venture out of their houses,” the petition submitted.
The residents alleged that outsiders had created a vicious communal atmosphere with an overwhelming show and threat of physical force so as to force all residents of the colony indoors.
- Jor Bagh residents move court for eviction of encroachers (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Court seeks land details of Jor Bagh shrine - Feb 01, 2012
- Court asks police to maintain peace during Shia procession - Jan 24, 2011
- Delhi High Court directs DDA to take encroached land back - May 02, 2012
- Residents move court for eviction of encroachers - Jan 31, 2012
- Situation still tense at south Delhi's Jor Bagh area - Jan 17, 2012
- Mosque case: Petitioner seeks action against lawmaker (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Notice to Delhi, central governments on unauthorised colonies - Feb 17, 2012
- Court notice over legislator's encroachment of DDA land - Feb 23, 2012
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged - Sep 12, 2012
- Court notice on Delhi's illegal colonies - Aug 22, 2012
- Central, Delhi governments get notice on mobile phone towers - Aug 01, 2012
- Notices to civic agencies, police on encroachment on roads - Feb 15, 2011
- Unauthorized construction: MCD must respond - Nov 02, 2011
- Court notice over girls' admission to Delhi school (Lead) - May 23, 2012
Tags: chief justice, clashes, communal atmosphere, delhi development authority, delhi high court, demarcation, devotees, division bench, encroachment, jor bagh, land details, law and order, living in fear, masjid, petitioners, police station, public interest litigation, religious works, south delhi, untoward incident