Court seeks explanation on rice scheme stoppageMarch 16th, 2011 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 16 (IANS) The Kerala High Court Wednesday asked the Election Commission to explain why it halted the sale of rice at Rs.2 a kilo after the assembly elections were announced.
The bench headed by Chief Justice J. Chalameshwar gave the direction on a petition filed by Communist Party of India (CPI) legislator Rajaji Mathew Thomas.
Thomas said Wednesday that he had been informed by his counsel that the court directed the election panel to respond Friday.
“The bench expressed doubts if the Election Commission can go ahead with such a direction to stop an ongoing programme,” added Thomas.
The Election Commission said the sale of rice at Rs.2 a kilo violated the model code of conduct that came into force March 1.
“This is not a new scheme. The cabinet cleared it Feb 23, Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan announced it the next day and the orders were given Feb 25. The model code came into effect only March 1,” Thomas pointed out.
The government has accused the Congress-led opposition of scuttling an innovative programme meant for all ration card holders.
Hitherto the rice for Rs.2 scheme was available only to card holders who were officially deemed poor.
- Court allows sale of subsidised rice in poll-bound Kerala - Mar 21, 2011
- EC has no power to ban subsidized rice scheme, rules Kerala High Court - Mar 16, 2011
- Court sets aside EC order on rice scheme in poll-bound Kerala - Mar 21, 2011
- 'Rice politics' becomes major poll issue in Kerala - Mar 11, 2011
- Achuthanandan upset as subsidised rice scheme stopped - Mar 09, 2011
- Apex court upholds poll panel stay on Kerala's rice scheme - Mar 30, 2011
- Congress in poll mode in Kerala, plays 'rice' politics - Mar 25, 2011
- Kerala to offer rice for all at Rs.2 per kilo - Feb 22, 2011
- Election Commission bans two rupees per Kilogram rice scheme in Kerala - Mar 08, 2011
- Rice for Re.1 a kg for Kerala's poor - Aug 27, 2011
- Kerala: Left promises 2.5 million new jobs (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh's planned Rs.2 per kg rice scheme put on hold - Mar 17, 2009
- Now Andhra to give rice at Re.1 a kg to its poor - Sep 21, 2011
- Karunanidhi disappointed with Tamil Nadu election schedule - Mar 02, 2011
- Stop distribution of TV sets: EC tells Karunanidhi Govt. - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,