Court seeks child rights body’s report on Shanno’s deathMay 14th, 2009 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) Delhi High Court Thursday asked the child rights panel to submit a detailed report of the probe it conducted into the death of Shanno, an 11-year-old student, after alleged corporal punishment by her teacher here.
After accepting an inquiry report by Delhi Police, a division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice Neeraj Kishan Kaul asked the Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) to submit the detailed report by May 24.
The court was hearing a petition by Shanno’s father I.U. Khan who sought action against the teacher at a school run by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
Shanno slipped into a coma April 15 after she was allegedly punished by her teacher and died two days later. The teacher allegedly made her stand in the sun for two hours with bricks on her shoulders.
In the petition, Khan sought the court’s direction for registration of a first information report (FIR) under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Police have registered a case, but under section 304 A (causing death by negligent act).
The petition sought action against the teacher under the relevant provisions of law because, it argued, she owed moral responsibility and legal obligation to protect students.
- Court seeks government, police's response on Shanno's death (Lead) - May 04, 2009
- Shanno died of epilepsy, police tell court - Jul 17, 2009
- Vishva-Bharati row: Court issues contempt notice against PM, others - Jul 13, 2012
- Criminal acts in privacy not immune, court told - Feb 22, 2012
- Delhi CM expresses shock over student's torture, death - Apr 17, 2009
- Hyderabad boy dies after corporal punishment, teacher booked - Sep 14, 2012
- Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- FIR lodged against teacher for Delhi student's death - Apr 17, 2009
- Nearly 12,000 Right to Education violations in Delhi - Mar 27, 2011
- Vishva-Bharati case: Girl refuses to go back to school - Jul 10, 2012
- Viswa-Bharati shocker: PMO seeks report, earden gets bail (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2012
- Over 10,000 violations of Right to Education in Delhi - Dec 21, 2010
- Don Bosco warden arrested in Bengal on charges of sodomy - Jul 16, 2012
- Visva Bharati shocker: Varsity team visits student - Jul 12, 2012
- Shanoo's killer is still absconding - Apr 18, 2009