Court seeks CBI’s reply on Sajjan Kumar’s pleaMay 15th, 2012 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) A Delhi court Monday directed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to file its reply on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar’s plea asking if witnesses can be confronted with their affidavits submitted to the commission set up to examine 1984 riot cases.
District Judge J.R. Aryan issued the notice to the CBI, returnable by May 19, to respond to Sajjan Kumar’s plea.
Sajjan Kumar’s counsel, I.U. Khan told the court that the probe agency is not relying upon certain documents of the complainant and key prosecution witness in the case, Jagdish Kaur. Earlier the CBI brought her evidence on record.
Khan said that prosecutor R.S. Cheema had on July 12, 2010, made a statement to the court that affidavits of a witness in the case cannot be used as they are contradictory.
The prosecuting agency relied upon these two affidavits and statement of Jagdish Kaur filed before the Ranganath Mishra Commission of Inquiry and the Nanawati Commission of Inquiry July 2, 2010, he said.
The trial court, while framing charges against the accused, had also relied on these documents, added Khan.
The court was hearing the final arguments in a case against Sajjan Kumar and the other five accused of inciting mob against the Sikh community during the riots that broke out after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 31, 1984.
- Court reserves order on Sajjan's plea - May 26, 2012
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Jun 13, 2012
- SC suspends Sajjan Kumar's trial in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- Police recorded 1984 witnesses' statements in unfair manner: CBI - Apr 09, 2012
- Rivals implicated me in 1984 riots case: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Supreme Court suspends Sajjan Kumar trial in '84 riots case - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: affidavits, aryan, cbi, central bureau of investigation, cheema, commission of inquiry, complainant, congress leader, delhi court, district judge, indira gandhi, kaur, oct 31, plea, prime minister indira, prosecution witness, riots, sajjan kumar, sikh community, trial court