Court rules out CBI probe into Laila Khan murderJuly 26th, 2012 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 26 (IANS) The Bombay High Court Thursday rejected a plea to transfer the probe into starlet Laila Khan’s killing, who was murdered along with five other family members, to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
A division bench comprising Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice A.R. Joshi was hearing a petition filed by Laila Khan’s biological father Nadir Shah Patel, demanding a probe by the federal agency into the multiple killings.
The judges observed that they could not transfer the probe into all cases to the central agency without formidable grounds which could prove police inefficiency in the investigations.
The case is presently being investigated by the Mumbai police.
Police claimed that the murders were allegedly committed by Laila Khan’s step-father Parvez Iqbal Tak, currently in custody here.
In February 2011, Patel filed a police complaint saying that they (Laila and others) were missing.
Following revelations made by Tak, a suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist, to the Jammu and Kashmir Police last month, the Mumbai police recovered human remains this month from Laila’s partially-burnt country house in Igatpuri, a hill resort in Nashik district, around 130 km from here.
Patel also sought action against officials of Oshiwara Police Station in Mumbai’s western suburbs and Igatpuri for allegedly failing to discharge their duties in the matter.
Dismissing his contentions, the court said just because she (Laila) was a celebrity, the CBI could not be asked to probe the case unless there were formidable grounds to show police inefficiency.
The judges said they would demand an explanation from police on the delay in investigating Patel’s missing person complaint, and posted the matter for further hearing Aug 23.
- Searches continue at missing Bollywood starlet's villa - Jul 11, 2012
- Human remains found near Laila Khan's country villa - Jul 11, 2012
- Mystery continues over missing actress Laila Khan (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Laila Khan's father dismisses claim on her killing - Jul 05, 2012
- Missing starlet's stepfather remanded to police custody (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Missing starlet's step father brought to Mumbai - Jul 09, 2012
- Murder saga resolved, six skeletons found (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Missing starlet's step father handed over to Maharashtra police - Jul 07, 2012
- Maharashtra government set to face opposition ire - Jul 08, 2012
- Murder saga resolved with discovery of six skeletons (Third Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Six skeletons found in missing starlet's villa (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Laila Khan murder: Tak's police custody extended (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Actress Laila Khan killed with family, says stepfather - Jul 05, 2012
- Laila Khan murder: Tak sent to judicial custody - Jul 23, 2012
- Court orders CBI probe against Narayan Rane's son - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: biological father, bombay high court, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, contentions, country house, division bench, inefficiency, jammu, joshi, laila, lashkar e taiba, missing person, mumbai police, nadir shah, police complaint, police police, police station, starlet, western suburbs