Court reserves order on Nanda’s bail plea for Saturday

October 3rd, 2008 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Oct 3 (IANS) Delhi High Court Friday reserved its order till Saturday over the bail application of Sanjeev Nanda, convicted and sentenced in the 1999 BMW hit-and-run case, in which six people lost their lives.Justice Kailash Gambhir reserved the order after hearing arguments from the Delhi police and the defence counsel.

Nanda had challenging his conviction and five-year prison term awarded by a trial court earlier this month.

Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for Nanda, said it was a simple accident case and if the case is similar to Mumbai’s Alister Anthony Pareira, who had run over seven people and was awarded three years imprisonment then why was there a discrimination done to Nanda.

He also added that there was no incriminating evidence against Nanda and that the trial court had wrongly convicted him due to media hype.

“Nanda had already spent ten months in jail and till the time his appeal is heard, he should be granted bail,” Rohatgi said.

Seeking bail from the court, Nanda in his petition said the trial court had accepted the testimony of controversial prosecution eyewitness Sunil Kulkarni, which was not reliable.

Kulkarni, Nanda said, was in Mumbai and not in Delhi at the time of the accident.

Alleging that the police had delayed the recording of Kulkarni’s statement, Nanda said the court ignored the testimonies of the other defence witnesses.

However, Delhi police opposed Nanda’s bail plea stating that it was not a simple case of accident.

Nanda, grandson of former navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda, was Sep 5 awarded five years of rigorous imprisonment by the trial court.

Sanjeev Nanda was returning from a party in Gurgaon with his friends in a BMW car in the early hours of Jan 10, 1999, when he drove over six people in south Delhi’s Lodhi Colony area.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe