Court reserves order on CWG accused’s bail plea (Lead)July 27th, 2011 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday reserved its order on the anticipatory bail plea of three promoters of private companies who are accused of involvement in a Commonwealth Games-related corruption case and are on the run.
Anil Kumar Madan and Purushottam Dev Arya, of Faridabad-based Gem International, and Hyderabad-based entrepreneur A. Krishna Reddy linked to A.K.R. Constructions are the accused in a CWG-related corruption case.
Justice Mukta Gupta of the Delhi high Court after hearing the arguments said: “The order on the anticipatory bail plea of all three is reserved.”
Madan approached the court for anticipatory bail on the ground that he was old, infirm and a handicapped person suffering from life-threatening ailments.
“In January, he lost vision in his left eye because of retinal detachment and retinal detachment in the other eye is in progress,” said his application, adding that he also suffered from severe heart ailments.
In its first charge sheet naming former Organising Committee (OC) chairman Suresh Kalmadi and 10 others, the CBI said Madan and Arya, the authorised Indian representatives of Swiss Timing which was fraudulently awarded the contract for the timing, scoring and result (TSR) equipment, were personally known to Kalmadi long before the sporting event.
The charge against Reddy’s firm was that it raised fictitious bills amounting to Rs.13 crore for works worth Rs.3 crore.
The CBI said Gem International even obliged Kalmadi as early as Oct 16, 2008, by going out of the way to make a significant payment on his asking.
“Call records show that there were telephonic contacts between them as early as February 2009,” the CBI said.
Swiss Timing had been engaged for providing some components of TSR services even during the 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games, when Kalmadi came in contact with Arya and Madan and other representatives of the Swiss firm.
- Three CWG scam accused denied anticipatory bail - Aug 02, 2011
- Two accused in CWG case seek anticipatory bail - Jun 20, 2011
- Three CWG scam accused denied anticipatory bail (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- CWG scam: Executive seeks anticipatory bail - Jul 07, 2011
- CWG scam: Private firm promoter surrenders - Aug 20, 2011
- CWG graft: High Court notice to CWG accused - May 04, 2012
- CWG scam: Decision on Reddy's bail plea Feb 16 - Feb 15, 2012
- CWG scam: Three more granted bail (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Kalmadi gets bail but Raja, several VIPs still in Tihar - Jan 19, 2012
- CWG scam: CBI orders attaching properties of absconders - Aug 03, 2011
- CWG scam: Decision on bail plea of two accused Feb 15 (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Judicial custody of Kalmadi, other CWG scam accused extended - Jul 14, 2011
- CBI charges Kalmadi, eight others in CWG case (Third Lead) - May 20, 2011
- CBI names Kalmadi prime accused in CWG chargesheet (Roundup) - May 20, 2011
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: arya, bail plea, cbi, commonwealth games, commonwealth youth games, corruption case, court reserves, crore, delhi high court, handicapped person, heart ailments, indian representatives, krishna reddy, madan, mukta, organising committee, retinal detachment, suresh kalmadi, swiss firm, swiss timing