Court reserves order on bail plea of BMW hit-and-run accusedNovember 25th, 2008 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 25 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday reserved its order on the bail plea of Utsav Bhasin, the 19-year-old Haryana based industrialist’s son who is in custody for allegedly mowing down a motorcyclist while driving his BMW car.Justice Veena Birbal reserved the order after hearing contentions of Bhasin and Delhi Police that opposed the bail plea.
Bhasin approached the high court Nov 18 after the lower court refused to grant him bail and dismissed his petition Nov 6.
In his plea, Bhasin stated that since chargesheet has been filed in the case, he was no longer required by the police for interrogation.
The lower court rejecting Bhasin’s bail said, “The accused may have been 19 years of age having no previous criminal record, but the same were not sufficient to override the gravity of offence alleged against him. It is not a fit case to grant bail at this stage as allegations are grave.”
On Nov 1, Delhi Police filed the chargesheet and booked the accused under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) and section 279 (rash and negligent driving) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for the Sep 11 accident that claimed the life of BPO employee Anuj Singh.
Section 304 carries a maximum punishment of life imprisonment.
Bhasin, who hit two men on a motorcycle around 2.30 a.m. when he was driving his BMW car Sep 11 near Moolchand flyover in South Delhi, surrendered Sep 27 after the Delhi High Court refused to grant him the anticipatory bail.
Anuj Singh riding the motorcycle succumbed to his injuries a day after the accident while pillion rider Mrigank Shrivastava, a journalist, remained hospitalised for a few days.
- Second BMW case: Court rejects Utsav Bhasin's bail plea - Sep 26, 2008
- Police get notice on BMW crash accused Bhasin's bail plea - Nov 18, 2008
- BMW case: Charges filed against Utsav Bhasin - Nov 01, 2008
- Second BMW case: Utsav Bhasin sent to jail - Sep 28, 2008
- Bhasin alleges delay on bail plea in BMW hit-and-run case - Dec 03, 2008
- BMW accused Bhasin's fresh bail plea rejected - Nov 06, 2008
- BMW hit-and-run: High court reserves order on Utsav's bail plea - Sep 24, 2008
- No relief for accused in second BMW hit-and-run - Sep 23, 2008
- Utsav Bhasin denied bail in BMW case - Oct 06, 2008
- Utsav Bhasin's judicial custody extended in BMW case - Oct 10, 2008
- Court extends custody of Utsav Bhasin in BMW hit-and-run case - Nov 21, 2008
- Delhi High Court rejects Utsav Bhasin's bail plea - Jan 09, 2009
- BMW hit-and-run: Utsav Bhasin moves high court for bail - Sep 22, 2008
- BMW case: Utsav Bhasin to be produced before Delhi court - Oct 10, 2008
- Delhi Court defers hearing on BMW hit-and-run case - Sep 17, 2008