Court refuses to stay honorarium to ImamsMay 4th, 2012 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 4 (IANS) The Calcutta High Court Friday, while hearing a public interest litigation filed by the BJP, refused to stay the payment of honorarium by the West Bengal government to Imams till the suit is pending in the court.
The PIL challenges the honorarium on the ground of a Supreme Court directive which states that salary to an Imam can be paid only from the state Wakf board fund.
“Although the court refused to stay the payment of honorarium, it asked the state government to give an affidavit to take the responsibility of recovering the amount so paid if the honorarium is held unconstitutional by the court,” Bharatiya Janata Party counsel Kaushik Chandra said.
The division bench of Chief Justice J.N. Patel and justice Sambuddha Chakrabarty has also ordered the disbursing authority to inform the Imams that the honorarium will be paid subject to the decision of the court.
“If the verdict goes against them, they shall be liable to refund the money paid to them,” added Chandra.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Thursday announced her government’s plan to pay a monthly honorarium of Rs.2,500 to around 30,000 Imams in the state. The PIL will be next heard May 6.
- Court refuses to stay honorarium to Imams (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Court seeks report on Pinki case - Jul 07, 2012
- Court asks for West Bengal report on Pinki probe - Jul 06, 2012
- Calcutta HC stays compensation to hooch victims' families - Feb 07, 2012
- Honorarium to imams not a populist move, says Mamata - Jun 05, 2012
- PIL in Calcutta High Court to seek Pinki's release - Jul 05, 2012
- Court orders CID probe in CPI-M leaders' killing - Mar 02, 2012
- Calcutta High Court admits dengue PIL, asks state about measures - Sep 07, 2012
- Court bans devotees' entry to Kalighat 'garbha griha' - Apr 20, 2012
- Calcutta High Court strikes down Singur land act (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Find and destroy armed camps in Bengal, court tells forces - Jan 19, 2011
- Banerjee announces sops for Muslims, honorarium for Imams - Apr 03, 2012
- High court directs CBI to probe Jan 7 Netai killing - Feb 18, 2011
- Lalgarh killings: Supreme Court slams WB Govt. for opposing CBI probe - Mar 01, 2011
- Vishva-Bharati row: Court issues contempt notice against PM, others - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: affidavit, bjp, calcutta high court, chakrabarty, chandra, chief justice, chief minister, division bench, honorarium, imam, kaushik, kolkata, mamata banerjee, pil, public interest litigation, rs 2, salary, state government, supreme court directive, west bengal government