Court questions NHRC’s power to award compensationNovember 26th, 2008 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) to review its order directing the Enforcement Directorate (ED) to pay Rs.50,000 as damages to an accused in a Foreign Exchange Regulation Act (FERA) violation case. Justice Sunil Gaur asked the NHRC to examine its power to award damages and reconsider the order as he allowed a petition filed by the central government through the ED questioning the commission jurisdiction to pass an order on immediate relief.
In 2000, the NHRC directed ED to pay a compensation of Rs.50,000 to Prabhakar L. Mehta on his complaint that he was being tortured by ED officials during raids at his residence in connection with an FERA violation by him in 1997.
According to the prosecution, in 1996 Mumbai-based Mehta illegally transferred foreign exchange worth more than Rs.4.60 billion from South Indian Bank, Mumbai, against a bogus import.
On Mehta’s plea, the NHRC ordered an enquiry and following the enquiry report awarded an interim relief of Rs.50,000 to the victim. It asked the investigating agency to shell out the amount.
- Non-bailable warrant against Andhra minister - Jul 23, 2012
- NHRC pulls up Assam over witch hunting, custodial deaths - May 28, 2012
- Delhi corporal punishment victim to be compensated - Mar 21, 2012
- Kerala partly complies with NHRC order on endosulphan victims - Jun 11, 2012
- Goa asked to pay Rs.50,000 compensation to beggar - Jan 15, 2011
- ACHR seeks more compensation from NHRC for Mizo juvenile detainee's death - Aug 23, 2010
- Compensate woman mistreated by police, NHRC tells Delhi - Mar 22, 2012
- Bengal rights panel orders probe in Shiladitya Chowdhury's arrest - Aug 17, 2012
- Rights panel orders compensation for delayed pension - Jul 07, 2010
- Haryana sits on NHRC reminder - Aug 23, 2012
- After Darbari, another Kalmadi aide gets bail in CWG scam case (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- No aid to 2002 riots-damaged religious places: Gujarat government - Apr 22, 2011
- Railways asked to compensate boy who was disabled - Mar 09, 2010
- Compensate rape victim, Bihar told - Jan 31, 2012
- Pay Rs.5 lakh each to fake shoot-out victims' kin: NHRC - Mar 22, 2010