Court questions government, school on girl’s eye injuryMarch 23rd, 2011 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Mar 23 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday sought a reply from the Delhi government and officials of a school as to why they were not able to provide immediate treatment to a girl whose eyes were injured in an incident in the institution.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna issued notice to the director and secretary of the education department of the Delhi government and Vishwamitra Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya in east Delhi.
The court asked the parties to file their reply by April 20.
The bench’s observation came after they received a letter written by an NGO alleging that the school principal had failed to provide immediate treatment to Saima, a Class 11 student, and her father, being poor, could not afford to pay for the expensive eye treatment.
According to NGO Patrons for Poor People’s Foundation (PPPF), Saima had March 1 gone out of the classroom to drink water when some boys from outside pelted stones at her which damaged her eyes.
“The principal of the school failed to provide immediate treatment to the girl and sent her back to her house. When the girl’s parents took her for treatment, they were told the treatment would be expensive,” said the letter the NGO sent to the high court.
- Girl injured in Delhi school to get Rs.3 lakh - May 04, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi government, MCD over poor conditions in schools - Sep 19, 2012
- Court directs government to re-admit failed student - Jul 26, 2011
- Notice to Delhi government over schoolboy's injury - Nov 02, 2011
- Girl drags school to court on admission - Jul 25, 2011
- Many Delhi school kids drop out for work, marriage (Nov 14 is Children's Day in India) - Nov 14, 2010
- Explain denial of admission to girls, court asks schools - Jul 27, 2010
- Replace tent classrooms with portable cabins: Court (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Four school girls abducted - Mar 25, 2011
- 'Abducted' Delhi school girls found in Uttarakhand - Mar 26, 2011
- Judge recuses herself from hearing plea against doctors strike - Jun 22, 2012
- Two Delhi schools questioned on turning away girl of 7 - Jun 28, 2011
- High court questions Himachal on quota for disabled - Sep 02, 2011
- Treat poor free, apex court tells 10 Delhi hospitals - Sep 01, 2011
- Frame right to education rules, Delhi government told (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: chief justice, delhi government, delhi high court, dipak, division bench, east delhi, education department, eye injury, eye treatment, government school, kanya, march 1, misra, New Delhi, ngo, patrons, sanjiv, sarvodaya kanya vidyalaya, school principal, vishwamitra