Court queries Prasar Bharati head on CEO’s extensionMay 12th, 2009 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 12 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday sought a response from the chairman of the public broadcaster Prasar Bharati on a public suit alleging that the tenure of its Chief Executive Officer B.S. Lalli was illegally extended, a charge the government has refuted.
A bench comprising Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice Neeraj Kishan Kaul issued notice to Chairman Arun Bhatnagar on a petition by NGO Centre for Public Interest Litigation that also sought an independent investigation into the alleged financial irregularities in the organisation.
Additional Solicitor General Parag Tripathi, appearing for the government, contended that Lalli’s term was extended after the Prasar Bharati Act was amended to raise the retirement age to 65 from 62.
Lalli, who was due to retire April 21 at the age of 62, hence got the extension, Tripathi said.
He also refuted the allegations of the NGO and questioned the authenticity of documents submitted by it purporting to be minutes of a Prasar Bharti Board meeting, at which some members were believed to have raised questions about the CEO’s functioning.
The NGO also sought an independent investigation into the allegations of financial irregularities by the CEO.
“He is acting with complete impunity and disregard for the directions and concerns raised by the board regarding the instances of financial irregularities and his autocratic functioning,” advocate Prashant Bhushan, appearing for the petitioner, maintained.
- SC asks Centre to file CBI report on suspended Prasar Bharati CEO - Apr 01, 2011
- Court pulls up Prasar Bharti CEO - May 06, 2009
- Supreme Court asks Centre to file affidavit against Lalli - Feb 14, 2011
- Court dismisses suit against Prasar Bharati chief - Nov 13, 2009
- Court reserves order on extension to Prasar Bharti CEO - Oct 29, 2009
- Prasar Bharati faces graft probe, ex-judge to supervise board - Jul 27, 2009
- Amendments to Prasar Bharati Act, interim set-up likely (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Post-Lalli suspension, Prasar Bharati looks to interim set-up - Dec 22, 2010
- Government accepts Prasar Bharati chairman's resignation - Dec 18, 2009
- Prasar Bharati chairman resigns - May 26, 2009
- Three-member team to oversee Prasar Bharti functioning: Apex court - Nov 19, 2010
- Court dismisses suit against Prasar Bharati chief (Lead) - Nov 13, 2009
- Apex court asks government why it wants to remove Lalli (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Court asks Prasar Bharati CEO to reply within week - Jul 15, 2009
- File status report on CBI probe in Lalli case: Apex court - Apr 01, 2011