Court quashes Odisha speaker’s ruling on BJP legislatorJune 18th, 2012 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 18 (IANS) Odisha High Court Monday quashed the ruling of state assembly Speaker Pradip Amat on the membership of a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator who had been accused of defying party whip, a lawyer said.
Bhimsen Choudhury, the member from Bonai assembly constituency, had abstained from voting during the Rajya Sabha polls in 2010 despite a party whip. He was subsequently suspended from the party.
Describing his defiance of whip as a violation of anti-defection law, the BJP had moved the speaker to seek his disqualification from the assembly membership. However, the speaker, in a ruling in March this year, rejected the demand.
BJP legislative party secretary Karendra Majhi had then moved the high court, seeking quashing of the speaker’s ruling.
“The court quashed the ruling of the speaker and asked him to re-consider the matter. The court also has given next four weeks for the speaker to pass a final order,” Majhi’s lawyer Gopal Agarwal told reporters.
The speaker said he has yet to receive the court’s direction.
- NCP seeks disqualification of four Odisha legislators - Jul 10, 2012
- Yeddyurappa safe as court upholds rebels' disqualification (Roundup) - Oct 29, 2010
- Action against defecting NCP legislators difficult: Meghalaya speaker - Sep 11, 2012
- Orissa house adjourned over World Cup cricket final - Apr 02, 2011
- Yeddyurappa convenes assembly session - May 13, 2011
- Congress to seek disqualification of 17 Andhra rebels - Dec 10, 2011
- Justice Sabhahit to hear Karnataka BJP legislators' case - Oct 20, 2010
- Court upholds 11 Karnataka BJP legislators' disqualification (Second Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Karnataka HC upholds disqualification of rebel BJP MLAs - Oct 29, 2010
- High court upholds rebel BJP legislators' disqualification - Oct 29, 2010
- Karnataka rebel legislators' case hearing to resume Thursday - Oct 20, 2010
- Karnataka governor, speaker spat over rebels (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Orissa abduction: Uproar in assembly - Mar 24, 2012
- NCP threatens to disqualify Meghalaya legislators - Aug 26, 2012
- Disqualified Karnataka legislators' case adjourned to Tuesday (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
Tags: amat, assembly speaker, bharatiya janata party, bjp, constituency, defection, defiance, lawyer, legislator, majhi, odisha, party secretary, party whip, polls, pradip, rajya sabha, state assembly