Court pulls up Delhi government on rising road deaths

January 18th, 2009 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Jan 18 (IANS) The Delhi High Court has pulled up the Delhi government for its callous attitude towards the increasing deaths on the capital’s roads due to “killer” blueline buses.A division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice Sanjeev Khanna last week pulled up the government for dilly-dallying on implementation of strict rules and regulations for blueline buses, responsible for several road deaths.

“We are reading almost regularly in newspapers about the death of a person due to a blueline bus. How long will this situation continue? Why are you (government) not doing anything to stop them?” the judges asked.

The bench further sought to know from the government about the proposed introduction of low floor buses in the capital.

To this, the government’s standing counsel, Mukta Gupta said the government has already placed an order for 2,500 buses, which will be available soon.

The court also asked the government’s stand on the cooperative societies to run bus services that have been planned by it earlier.

Responding to this, Kailash Vasudev, the amicus curiae appointed by the court in the blueline case said the tenders for constituting the cooperative societies have been floated and they were waiting for a response from the private bidders.

The court then asked the government to submit a detailed status report within two weeks’ time.

During earlier hearing, the court has termed blueline buses as “killer” and held them responsible for most of the accident deaths in the capital.

“The blueline buses are the major killers as far as Delhi is concerned. These killer blueline buses have played havoc on Delhi roads and every year precious lives get lost due to these buses,” the court had then said.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe