Court overturns death given to retired copMarch 5th, 2008 - 4:42 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 5 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday overturned the death sentence given to retired assistant commissioner of police (ACP) R.P. Tyagi and acquitted another Delhi Police personnel in a 1987 case of death in custody. A bench of Justices Mukul Mudgal and P.K. Bhasin gave eight years imprisonment to Tyagi and imposed a fine of Rs.200,000 on him.
Tyagi had last year been sentenced to death by the sessions court in Karkardooma for the death of Mahinder Kumar, who died in the Vivek Vihar police station in 1987.
The high court also acquitted K.P. Singh, who had been earlier sentenced to three years. Besides, it reduced the three year imprisonment given to Tej Singh to six months and a fine of Rs.5,000.
- Court sets aside contempt order against IFCI CEO - Apr 17, 2012
- Fine on IFCI, jail for executives for contempt of court - Mar 21, 2012
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
- Income Tax official gets 4 years jail for bribery - Feb 01, 2012
- CP shootout case: apex court confirms cop's life sentence - May 02, 2011
- Circumstantial evidence should be conclusive: Supreme Court - Jan 15, 2012
- Court issues notice to CBI on Sukh Ram's plea - Nov 25, 2011
- Apex court gives one-year jail to former Kerala minister - Feb 10, 2011
- Sukh Ram challenges conviction, sentence in graft case (Lead) - Nov 23, 2011
- Teacher gets 30 years jail for sexually abusing girls - May 02, 2010
- Ex IGP Lakshamana sentenced to life imprisonment in fake encounter case - Oct 28, 2010
- Ex-CWC official gets four-year jail term in graft case - Aug 17, 2012
- Court awards five-year jail to Kashmiri militant - May 17, 2012
- No mandatory gallows for killing with illegal arms: Apex court (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- No mercy for kidnappers of children, says Supreme Court - Dec 05, 2011