Court orders resumption of 1984 riot case hearingJanuary 14th, 2009 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 14 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked a lower court to resume hearing a case related to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots here after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) informed it that it had recorded the statement of Jasbir Singh, a US-based witness. Jasbir Singh’s counsel also confirmed this and withdrew his previous petition alleging that the agency had not been recording his statement.
After hearing both sides, Justice S. Muralidhar disposed of the petition and asked the lower court to proceed with the hearing in the case as scheduled.
In December last year, a team of CBI officials went to the US and recorded statements of Jasbir Singh and another witness Surinder Singh against senior Congress leader and MP Jagdish Tytler.
On Sep 29, 2007, the CBI had recommended that the case against Tytler and co-accused Kishan Sharma be closed as no evidence could be found against them.
However, the US-based witnesses said they wanted to testify against the politician.
While they said they would testify only in the US, fearing threat to their lives in India, the CBI had insisted on recording their statements only in the court here.
The CBI had initially declared Jasbir Singh as untraceable, but on Dec 6, 2007 he filed an application before the lower court through his counsel saying he was ready to depose as a witness.
On Dec 18, the lower court at Karkardooma ordered further investigation in the case and directed the CBI to record Jasbir Singh’s statement.
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: CBI seeks dismissal of case against Tytler - Jul 24, 2010
- US-based Sikh wants to depose against Tytler - Jan 25, 2012
- CBI asked why it termed 1094 riots witnesses unreliable - Apr 01, 2010
- Tytler given clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: CBI questioned in Tytler case - Mar 29, 2010
- Jagdish Tytler gets clean chit in 1984 riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- 1984 riots case: CBI terms witness 'unreliable' - Dec 01, 2009
- Court reserves order on CBI plea to close riots case against Tytler - Apr 07, 2010
- CBI team in US to record anti-Sikh riot witness' statement (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- Tytler case: 1984 riots victims still hope for justice - Oct 30, 2009
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots witnesses unreliable, CBI tells court - Sep 23, 2009
- CBI to submit U.S based Jasbir Singhs statement in 1984 riots soon - Jan 14, 2009
- CBI defends clean chit to Tytler in anti-Sikh riots case - Feb 10, 2010
- CBI assures security to 1984 riots witness based in US - Aug 26, 2008