Court orders provisional use of Kotla for IPL matches (Lead)April 11th, 2012 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday directed the Municipal Corporation of Delhi to issue a provisional occupancy certificate to enable the staging of Indian Premier League-5 matches at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium here.
A division bench of Justice B.D. Ahmed and Justice Veena Birbal’s gave the direction on the plea of the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA).
The stadium, renovated by the DDCA in 2008, is the home ground of the Delhi Daredevils, who will play eight of their 16 IPL matches here.
The MCD has not issued the occupancy certificate for the stadium for non-fulfillment of certain civic formalities by the DDCA.
DDCA counsel told the court that the administrator had procured a no objection certificate for the stadium from the fire department and a structural stability certificate.
DDCA also assured the court that it may be held accountable if any untoward incidents took place because of electricity-related faults, as it was yet to furnish an NoC from the electrical department.
The civic agency, in its application, alleged that the DDCA was deliberately not fulfilling the formalities to get the occupancy certificate from it as the administrator was trying to avoid various tax liabilities towards the MCD.
According to the Delhi Municipal Corporation Act, the DDCA is required to get the completion and occupancy certificates from the MCD before using the stadium for commercial purposes.
- DDCA sports committee restrained from functioning - May 13, 2011
- Court curbs on free cricket match passes in Delhi - Oct 17, 2011
- Slum dwellers near CWG venues agree to move temporarily - Aug 26, 2010
- Trifurcated MCD offers better civic services, says home ministry - Aug 21, 2012
- ICC reinstates Kotla as an international cricket venue - Nov 23, 2010
- Probe sought into Kotla ground lease - Apr 27, 2010
- New civic centre lacks fire department clearance - Apr 22, 2010
- All set for working of trifurcated MCD: Government - Apr 21, 2012
- Court petitioned for razing slum near Games stadium - Aug 20, 2010
- High Court's nodal agency for food catering vans - Feb 03, 2012
- Police give report to court on MCD's ghost employees - Jan 19, 2011
- Delhi civic agencies pulled up for poor sanitation - Mar 06, 2010
- Delhi government will release Rs.1,831 crore for MCD - Apr 21, 2012
- MCD shifting to new centre without full fire safety clearance? - Nov 30, 2010
- BJP wins Delhi civic polls, but road ahead not so smooth - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: birbal, commercial purposes, corporation act, daredevils, ddca, delhi high court, district cricket association, division bench, electrical department, fire department, formalities, kotla, mcd, municipal corporation of delhi, noc, objection certificate, play eight, premier league, tax liabilities, veena