Court orders probe into Navin Chawla land dealFebruary 9th, 2009 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Feb 9 (IANS) A Jaipur court Monday ordered a probe into a land allotment case allegedly involving Election Commissioner Navin Chawla.
The district and sessions court ordered the Station House Officer (SHO) of the Gandhinagar police station here to inquire into the matter on a complaint filed by state Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legal cell chief Yogendra Singh Tanwar.
Tanwar alleged that Chawla used his official position to get a six-acre plot of land near Jaipur airport in 2000.
“The court ordered the Gandhinagar police to submit its inquiry report by March 16,” Tanwar told reporters.
Chawla floated two family trusts to get the land under the pretext of starting an institute for deaf, dumb and leprosy affected children, Tanwar, who is also an advocate, says in his complaint.
The trust got the land in the Bambala-Sheopur area at a rate of Rs.100 per sq metre, one tenth of the reserve price of Rs.1,000, the complaint said.
The land was earlier allotted to a private college in the city at the rate of Rs.1,000 per sq metre, the complaint added.
The Congress was in power in the state when the land was allotted.
Chawla was then the principal secretary (ports and power) with the Pondicherry government. Later he became Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) secretary.
Chawla landed in controversy last week when Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) N. Gopalaswami recommended to President Pratibha Patil that he be removed from his post charging him with being partisan.
However, the government came to Chawla’s defence with Law Minister H.R. Bhardwaj hitting out at Gopalaswami for suggesting the sacking of Chawla and stating that he would be the next head of the autonomous panel.
- Goa court directs FIR against minister in land scam case - Jan 11, 2011
- Goa minister booked for land scam - Jan 11, 2011
- Court rejects villagers' plea against Gujarat project - Jun 23, 2011
- Yeddyurappa faces police probe in one more case - Nov 27, 2011
- Land scam probe against another Karnataka minister - Nov 22, 2011
- SC notice to Haryana government on mosque land - Jun 18, 2012
- Probe demanded into Goa land scam with Margaret Alva links - Oct 15, 2011
- BSP land deals caused Rs.40,000 crore loss, says BJP - Jul 09, 2011
- Bhujbal trust's building to be probed - Apr 06, 2012
- Land favours to Hooda aide irks court - Nov 05, 2010
- Yeddyurappa declares assets worth several crores - Feb 06, 2011
- Goa's SEZ policies creating 'monsters':Industry body - Dec 06, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh farmers call indefinite fast from Monday - Aug 28, 2010
- IAS officer faces Gujarat land scam case, sent to jail - Jan 07, 2010
- Goa SEZ scam: Kamat still to read court order - Dec 08, 2010