Court orders confiscation of former DGP’s assetsFebruary 1st, 2012 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 1 (IANS) A court here Wednesday ordered the confiscation of the assets of former Bihar police chief Narayan Mishra and his wife on corruption charges.
Special Judge (Vigilance) Ramesh Chandra Mishra asked the Patna district magistrate to make the seizures within 30 days. Mishra has been accused of having assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
This is the first time the court has ordered to confiscation of assets of an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer who was the state police chief. He was tried under the Bihar Special Court Act, 2009.
Last month the court reserved orders on the prosecution’s plea for confiscation of the assets of the couple.
A vigilance case was lodged against Mishra in 2007 for amassing assets including property valued at Rs.1.40 crore 1984 and 2007.
These assets, according to a vigilance probe, included a palatial house in Patna, and a flat, plots and a house outside Patna.
Mishra was suspended by the government three years ago.
Till date, the Bihar government has confiscated houses of an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, Shiv Shankar Verma, and a treasury clerk, Girish Kumar.
Proceedings to confiscate properties of some more officials, including former drug controller Y.K. Jaiswal, revenue officer Yogendra Prasad Singh, engineer Srikant Prasad and former Rajbhasha Parishad director B.N. Chowdhary have also been initiated.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar gave his nod for prosecution of 11 officials of various departments last year.
The government last year put in place the Special Courts Act to confiscate properties of corrupt officials.
Six special courts, two each in Patna, Bhagalpur and Muzaffarpur, were created with the permission of the Patna High Court for speedy trial of cases involving more than Rs.25 crore.
- To track ill-gotten assets, Bihar ready to cross borders - Feb 16, 2012
- Bihar to confiscate BJP lawmaker's assets - Feb 04, 2012
- Bihar cracks whip again, sacks corrupt official - Jan 24, 2012
- CBI to adopt Bihar law to seize homes of corrupt - Jan 28, 2012
- Bihar government now targets corrupt middlemen - Jan 21, 2012
- Ex-Bihar police chief's illegal assets to be seized - Jul 24, 2012
- After house, corrupt Bihar official's land seized - Nov 21, 2011
- Bihar opens school in tainted officer's seized house - Sep 08, 2011
- Another corrupt official's house confiscated in Bihar - Nov 19, 2011
- Another corrupt Bihar official's home to house school - Dec 04, 2011
- Corrupt IAS officer in Bihar to be prosecuted - Sep 29, 2011
- Confiscate properties of corrupt politicians: JD-U MP - Dec 20, 2010
- Bihar to speed up prosecution of corrupt officials - Jan 24, 2011
- Seizure of officer's house a warning: Bihar CM - Sep 05, 2011
- Enact law to seize corrupt politicians' property: Nitish urged (Lead, recasting intro) - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: bhagalpur, bihar government, bihar police, chief minister, chowdhary, confiscation, corrupt officials, corruption charges, court act, district magistrate, indian administrative service, indian police service, jaiswal, mishra, patna district, patna high court, rajbhasha, special courts, special judge, speedy trial