Court orders CBI probe against Narayan Rane’s sonMarch 24th, 2011 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 24 (IANS) In a setback to Congress heavyweight and Industries Minister Narayan Rane, the Bombay High Court Thursday directed the Central Bureau of Investigation to probe his son Nitesh Rane’s alleged involvement in a shooting incident.
Nitesh, who heads NGO Swabhiman Sanghatana, has been accused of firing at Shamim alias Chintu Shaikh, a former aide, in his office in Khar last September.
Shaikh had filed the complaint against Nitesh with the Mumbai police, which transferred it to the Mumbai Crime Branch, but he moved the Bombay High Court demanding a CBI probe.
He contended that Rane’s father, a senior Congress leader and a cabinet minister in the state government, was allegedly interfering in the investigations.
A division bench of Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice A.R. Joshi granted Shaikh’s plea and directed the CBI to take over the investigations into the case.
On Sep 23 last year, Shaikh had gone to meet Nitesh at the Sanghatana’s office in Khar.
There, the duo reportedly had an argument over some issue after which Nitesh allegedly whipped out a revolver and fired at Shaikh.
The bullets grazed Shaikh’s cheek, and he ran outside, got into a vehicle and went all the way to Powai, Andheri east, and got himself admitted to the Hiranandani Hospital.
Later, he lodged a police complaint and the case was transferred to the Crime Branch in early October.
A month later, Nov 12, the crime branch cleared Nitesh of the charges against him, saying that no witnesses had testified against him.
- Crime Branch to probe allegations against Narayan Rane's son - Oct 03, 2010
- Maharashtra minister's son claims innocence, opposition seeks CBI probe - Sep 24, 2010
- Maharashtra minister's son, two others wanted for attempted murder - Sep 24, 2010
- No bullet injury on man 'shot' by Rane's son: Forensic report - Oct 04, 2010
- Shiv Sena hits back at Narayan Rane for attacking Uddhav - Sep 25, 2010
- New twist in case against Maharashtra minister's son (Lead) - Sep 24, 2010
- Maharashtra minister's son charged with attempted murder - Sep 24, 2010
- Maharashtra Revenue Minister's son fires at his own employee in Mumbai - Sep 24, 2010
- Court rules out CBI probe into Laila Khan murder - Jul 26, 2012
- 25,300 jobs in a day! Mumbai creates Guinness record - Oct 13, 2011
- Journalist's murder: Police gets more time for probe report - Jun 21, 2011
- Dey murder: Cops question man in jail - Jun 16, 2011
- Three years on, India remembers 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2011
- Maharashtra government set to face opposition ire - Jul 08, 2012
- Dey murder: Court seeks police report July 6 (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: alias, andheri, bombay high court, cabinet minister, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chintu, congress leader, crime branch, division bench, hiranandani hospital, industries minister, joshi, last september, mumbai police, narayan rane, ngo, police complaint, revolver, setback