Court orders arrest of BSP lawmaker, brother for rapeJuly 24th, 2008 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 24(IANS) Uttar Pradesh’s Muzaffarnagar district court has directed the police to arrest and bring before it Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator Mohammad Aleem and his brother Mohammad Yunus for allegedly illegally confining and raping Nepalese girls working in Aleem’s circus, an official said Thursday. The court issued the warrant Wednesday evening.
Earlier this week, the court directed the inspector general police of Meerut range to present before the court Aleem and the other accused in the case July 22.
But the police failed to comply with the court’s order.
Then, the court gave the police time till August 4 to arrest the two and bring them before it.
Inspector General of Police Gyan Singh, in his reply to the court’s earlier directive, stated that Aleem and the other accused have been informed about the court orders.
The case against Aleem and his brother Mohammad Yunus dates back to June 2003.
According to official records, 48 Nepalese girls were rescued from Apollo Circus owned by Aleem in Muzaffarnagar in 2003 at the instance of a Nepal-based non-government organisation.
“The rescued victims, in their statement before the court, accused Aleem of illegal confinement and sexual assault. The medical examination of two girls confirmed rape,” an official said.
The case was lodged June 5, 2003, and subsequently in September that year the probe was entrusted to the Crime Investigation Department of the state police.
- Mayawati in Delhi, law targets her four legislators - Jul 22, 2008
- Rs.20 lakh relief for terror suspect's custody death (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Banda rape: CBI books BSP legislator - Sep 22, 2011
- Shelter home exploitation: cop held for destroying evidence - Jul 06, 2012
- Rape attempt: Uttar Pradesh legislator's two brothers held - Jun 25, 2011
- BSP MLA accused of rape surrenders - Jan 13, 2011
- Mayawati welcomes CBI probe in Banda rape - Sep 13, 2011
- Banda rape case: Enquiry ordered into jail warden's claims - Jan 17, 2011
- Bihar student's suicide: rights body seeks report - Sep 07, 2012
- Mayawati expels legislator for rape attempt (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Supreme Court warns police against custodial violence - Mar 29, 2011
- Rape accused Uttar Pradesh cop arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- Bangladesh set to resume Yunus court hearing - Mar 07, 2011
- Court pulls up cop for lax rape probe - Jun 20, 2012
- CBI probe demanded into Bihar girl's suicide - Sep 06, 2012