Court notice to varsity on St. Stephen’s College issueJuly 29th, 2008 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) Delhi High Court Tuesday issued notice to the Delhi University after St. Stephen’s College alleged interference in its affairs over appointment of a full-time principal. A division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S. Muralidhar issued notice to Delhi University to reply by Friday.
St. Stephen’s had approached the court after it received a letter from Delhi University March 20 directing the college to provide a list of candidates who had applied for the post of principal.
The university, citing a clause of the university ordinance, said it would complete the selection procedure and then inform the college recommending the name of the selected candidate.
The St. Stephen’s college opposed the move by the university contending that they are a minority institution and have always selected principals on their own.
“Any interference from the university will be infringing our fundamental rights,” the college alleged.
On July 4, the court asked St. Stephen’s to appoint a full-time principal in the college as early as possible.
The bench was hearing a public interest petition filed by R.K. Malhan, a former faculty member of the college, through his counsel Sachin Datta.
Datta contended that the institution is running without a head even as the admission procedure for the new academic session has started. There is an apprehension of irregularities in admission due to the absence of a full-time principal, he said.
The college’s supreme council appointed vice principal M.S. Frank as pro-tem administrator after Valson Thampu resigned from the post of officer on special duty and officiating principal in March.
- Notice to DU, St. Stephen's on principal's appointment - Aug 01, 2012
- Thampu qualified to head St. Stephen's College: Court (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Court notice over appointment of principal in St. Stephens - Jun 04, 2008
- Court asks St.Stephen's to appoint principal soon - Jul 09, 2008
- St. Stephen's moves court against Sandeep Dikshit's society - Sep 24, 2011
- Sandeep Dikshit barred from using St. Stephen's logo (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- Sibal backs Unmukt, requests DU to allow him for exam - Aug 31, 2012
- St.Stephens, DU's response sought on plea against principal - Oct 20, 2009
- Quraishi's appointment to St Stephen's governing body upheld - Feb 08, 2010
- Congress MP Sandeep Dikshit in St. Stephen's association soup - Sep 07, 2011
- Revamped alumni body to boost St Stephen's master plan - Jun 06, 2011
- DU asked not to meddle in St. Stephen's principal selection - Aug 21, 2008
- St Stephen's row: Court pulls up principal - Dec 03, 2009
- St Stephen's gives preference to Church of North India students - Jul 08, 2011
- St Stephen's governing body row: Court ruling Thursday - Dec 02, 2009