Court notice to prosecution in Katara murder after exposeMay 15th, 2008 - 12:04 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) A city court Wednesday issued notice to the prosecution after Vikas Yadav and Sukhdev Pehalwan, accused in the 2002 murder of Nitish Katara, sought a stay on the upcoming judgement following a sting operation that questioned the reliability of a key witness. Additional Sessions Judge Ravinder Kaur was Wednesday set to pronounce the date of judgement but postponed it till May 19, when the prosecution will submit its reply.
In the undercover operation carried out by Metro Now and published Monday, Ajay Katara, a key prosecution witness, purportedly admitted he was a planted witness.
Moving an application before the court, the two accused demanded that the content of the CD of the sting operation be brought on record.
The expose disclosed that Ajay was not present in Ghaziabad when the murder took place.
Moving an application under the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), Yadav said the video recording was “very important for arriving at a just decision in the case”.
“Since the trial is divided into two parts and the judgement in one case is pronounced, it is going to affect the case of the applicant immediately and the applicant will not be getting justice,” he said in his application.
Nitish Katara, son of a senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, was allegedly kidnapped and murdered by Vikas Yadav, his cousin Vishal Yadav and Sukhdev on the night of Feb 16-17, 2002.
They resented Nitish’s alleged relationship with Vikas’s sister Bharati, according to the prosecution.
Nitish’s body was recovered from Khurja village in Bulandshahar in Uttar Pradesh.
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict - Jul 17, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Arguments on punishment July 12 - Jul 07, 2011
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict - Jan 20, 2012
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Verdict on third accused Wednesday - Jul 05, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Katara murder accused approach court - May 13, 2008
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- Plea of Katara murder accused questioned - May 23, 2008
- Katara murder case: Delhi HC allows Vikas to attend brother's wedding - Apr 26, 2011
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Vikas Yadav gets one day's leave from jail (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Defence wants to re-examine key witness in Katara murder case - May 26, 2008