Court notice to government on CBI exemption from RTIJuly 6th, 2011 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 6 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notice to the central government on a public suit filed against the decision to exempt the CBI and the NIA from the purview of the RTI Act, the country’s transparency law.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Mishra and Justice Sanjeev Khanna issued notice to the central government, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the National Investigation Agency (NIA), the home and law ministries and the Department of Personnel and Training (DOPT).
“We are putting the matter for final disposal. The next date of hearing will be August 10, therefore the reply should be filed within two weeks from today (Wednesday),” the bench said.
The petitioners, Ajay Kumar Agarwal and Sitab Ali Chaudhary, had challenged the June 9 government notification exempting the CBI, the NIA and the National Intelligence Grid (Natgrid), a proposed centralised data system for quick access to information on terror suspects, from the purview of the Right to Information (RTI) Act.
“Hiding information sought under the RTI Act is unconstitutional,” the petition said.
“The petition has been filed for the benefit of citizens incapable of accessing the court themselves,” Chaudhary said.
Earlier this month, the cabinet approved the CBI’s request to be exempted from the RTI Act. The move was condemned by various RTI activists.
On a similar suit, the Madras High Court has asked both the central government and the CBI to explain the exemption from the RTI.
- Notice to government on plea for appointments in RTI ambit - Mar 28, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Goa information panel order - Dec 08, 2011
- Court dismisses petition to include CBI under RTI - Sep 10, 2011
- Sikkim notification on corruption probes by CBI challenged - Jan 23, 2012
- Court notice to government on Delhi security (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- Notice to Delhi government on plea to make helmet compulsory - Aug 24, 2011
- Government gets Delhi High Court contempt notice - May 09, 2012
- Court questions Delhi power firms on audit of accounts (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Hasten appointments in transparency panel: Court (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Supreme Court notices to six Andhra ministers (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Court suspends order to Delhi Police to provide Bhushan CD - Dec 09, 2011
- Court questions government on plea against Amod Kanth - Jun 03, 2011
- Is CIC empowered to prosecute for perjury? Court issues notice - Dec 23, 2011
- Gujarat questioned on delay in Lokayukta's appointment - Aug 19, 2011
- CBI exempt from RTI for 'security' reasons - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: august 10, cbi, central bureau of investigation, central government, chief justice, delhi high court, department of personnel and training, dipak, division bench, government notification, investigation agency, madras high court, mishra, national intelligence, national investigation, petitioners, purview, reply, rti act, sanjeev khanna