Court notice to Delhi power regulator over tariffApril 24th, 2012 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday issued notice to power regulator Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) on a plea filed by Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited (TPDDL) challenging its regulation for fixing tariff for power consumption in the city.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw sought the reply from DERC by July 30 while issuing notice.
TPDDL, a joint venture between Tata Power company and the government of Delhi, has challenged the DERC’s regulation for fixing the power tariff in the national capital for the year 2012 to 2015.
The impugned regulation of DERC lay down the principles and methodology for determination of tariff of distribution licenses for wheeling and retailing supply of electricity for the period from 2012 to 2015.
In its petition TDPL said: “Provisions in the impugned regulations being unfair and contrary to the principles of determinations of tariff provided under the electricity act, 2003 read with the national tariff policy, 2006 being ultra vires the parent statute and arbitrary and unreasonable and having the nexus with the object and purpose of the parent statute.”
Seeking quashing of the impugned provisions of the DERC regulation, the petitioner said: “In November 2011, the tariff policy were introduced without any commercial or legal rational and were unfair and unreasonable.”
“Despite having objections to the impugned regulation on the ground that the impugned regulations are ultra vires, arbitrary and unfair, the petitioner has been constrained to file its tariff application,” TDPL said.
- Court gives go-ahead for fresh power tariff in Delhi - May 23, 2011
- Court questions Delhi power firms on audit of accounts (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Court questions delay in naming Delhi power regulator chief - Jan 21, 2011
- Court reserves decision on new power tariff in Delhi - Mar 08, 2011
- 'CAG to audit accounts of Delhi discoms' - Mar 12, 2012
- Court moved on Delhi's power tariff - Jan 14, 2011
- Court tells Delhi power regulator to notify tariff hike - Jul 11, 2012
- Government withdraws direction to DERC on power tariff - Feb 11, 2011
- Court raps Delhi government, power regulator - Jan 26, 2011
- Your power bill goes up as tariff hiked in Delhi - Aug 26, 2011
- Court quashes regulatory board's order on CNG - Jun 01, 2012
- Notice to government on smoking scenes in films (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Delhi residents oppose power tariff hike (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Delhi's power tariff hike comes into effect - Jul 01, 2012
- Delhi resident's groups vow to oppose power tariff hike - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: chief justice, delhi electricity regulatory commission, delhi high court, derc, determinations, distribution licenses, division bench, electricity act, electricity regulatory commission, government of delhi, impugned, petitioner, power consumption, power regulator, power tariff, rajiv, sahai, tariff policy, tata power, year 2012