Court notice to CBI over Salem extraditionJuly 5th, 2008 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) A court here Saturday issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) asking why underworld don Abu Salem was extradited - instead of being deported - from Portugal in 2005 to face trial in several criminal cases including the 1993 Mumbai blasts case. Additional Sessions Judge Ravinder Kaur asked the CBI to reply by Aug 6.
The order came after Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Vikas Singh, appearing on behalf of Delhi Police, submitted before the court that it was a not case of deportation as the accused was caught in Portugal for using forged travel documents.
The ASG, who had sought dropping of charges under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against Salem, had responded to a court query as to why the central government went for his extradition instead of deportation, thus putting restrictions on the number of cases on which he could be tried and the quantum of sentence that could be awarded.
The extradition of Salem was conditional and came with restrictions on the number of cases for which he could be tried and on the quantum of sentence he could be awarded.
Salem is facing MCOCA charges in connection with an extortion call made to city-based businessman Ashok Gupta in 2002, demanding Rs.50 million as protection money.
- India to approach Portuguese court on Salem extradition (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- CBI asked to explain why Salem was extradited, not deported - Aug 19, 2008
- Court puts off Abu Salem case till Dec 20 - Nov 08, 2011
- Court reserves order on dropping charges against Salem (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Explain why Salem was extradited, not deported, Court asks CBI - Feb 05, 2009
- Apex court wants details of Abu Salem case proceedings - Mar 19, 2012
- Salem's trial to continue, to move Portugal constitutional court: CBI - Jan 17, 2012
- Court reserves order on MCOCA charges against Salem - Jul 10, 2009
- CBI defends Abu Salem's extradition - Jan 16, 2009
- MCOCA against Abu Salem dropped (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Portugal Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Relief for Abu Salem as apex court stays trial in 1993 blasts (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Court reserves order on charges against Salem - Feb 09, 2012
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Abu Salem's extradition, CBI to appeal - Sep 27, 2011