Court notice over baba’s magic remedy adsMay 16th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notice to the central and Delhi governments on a plea seeking action against a self-styled baba who advertises offering “magic treatment” to patients.
The division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice R.S. Endlaw sought response from the governments by July 4 and asked petitioner A.K. Jain to make city-based Nirmal Baba a party in the case.
The petitioner alleged that Nirmal Baba had been advertising in different electronic and print media claiming to offer “magical treatment” while claiming himself to be a “representative of god”.
The petitioner sought a ban on all advertisements by the baba, saying that such publicity was contrary to the provisions of the Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1954.
“The common man is being misled by the self-styled Nirmal Baba under the belief that the problems of a particular person will be solved with his blessings…the baba is spending lakhs of rupees on his advertisements and has earned more than Rs.200 crores within a few years in Delhi,” the petition said.
“Nirmal Baba through the electronic and print media publicity claims that if anyone starts acting on his advice then the person will be cured from any disease,” said advocate Sugriv Dubey appearing for Jain.
It was alleged by Jain that the baba had been organising camps in Delhi.
The petition sought the registration of a first information report against the baba.
- Seeking curbs on magical cure ads, Delhi tells court - Aug 30, 2012
- Police told to file report in Nirmal Baba case - Aug 10, 2012
- Can't book Nirmal Baba over complaint, cops tell court - Sep 10, 2012
- Central, Delhi governments get notice on mobile phone towers - Aug 01, 2012
- Court notice on ads by political parties in power (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Mosque case: Petitioner seeks action against lawmaker (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Court notice on ads by political parties in power - May 16, 2012
- Hasten appointments in transparency panel: Court (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Government gets notice on information panel vacancies (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Arrest warrant against Nirmal Baba stayed - May 23, 2012
- Court notice on plea against effluent discharge - Mar 28, 2012
- Civic agencies get court notice on illegal hookah bars - Aug 01, 2012
- Retain trial-run set-up on Delhi bus corridor: Court (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- AIIMS gets notice for not giving amputees artificial limbs - Feb 29, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi bar council - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: baba, blessings, chief justice, common man, crores, delhi high court, division bench, information report, jain, july 4, magic treatment, media publicity, New Delhi, nirmal, petition, petitioner, plea, remedy, rs 200, rupees