Court notice on plea seeking rules for ill Tihar inmatesAugust 13th, 2012 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday issued notice to the central and state government on a plea of a Tihar jail inmate’s widow seeking directions for framing guidelines for prisoners suffering from chronic diseases like cancer.
Justice Rajiv Shakdher issued notice to the union home ministry, Delhi government and Tihar jail superintendent and sought their reply by Jan 14, 2013.
In her plea, Neha Singh, whose husband died of cancer while in custody in Tihar jail, alleged criminal negligence on the part of the jail doctor and others leading to the death of her husband in August 2010.
The petitioner sought the court’s direction to the governments “to lay down a guideline or policy in regard to differential treatment of Tihar jail inmates or patients who are suffering from chronic diseases like cancer, TB, heart ailments, AIDS”.
Neha’s husband Manjeet Singh, lodged in Tihar in a case of kidnapping and dacoity, had in 2007 complained of face swelling and pain on the right side.
Since October 2007, he had made repeated requests to the jail authorities to take him to the hospital for a medical examination but this only happened in mid-2008.
The plea further added that the hospital report had confirmed that he was suffering from cancer, but the jail authorities had not taken any substantial effort to arrange his treatment which led to his death.
The petitioner also sought directions for the government to come out with a policy in regard to treatment of the jail inmates whereby poor accused are not required to pay from their own meagre funds.
She further sought compensation of Rs.10 lakh for her husband’s death and Rs.3 lakh for the expenses incurred during his treatment.
- 'Biscuit King' Pillai's widow wants more compensation - Sep 05, 2011
- Court orders better facilities for mentally ill prisoners - Mar 09, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi government, Tihar jail over custodial death - May 23, 2012
- Notice to governments on mobile phone towers - Jul 23, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Court asks for fresh medical report on Morani (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Manu Sharma moves court for three weeks' furlough - Sep 07, 2012
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Court allows 65 detained Pakistanis to stay in jail - Apr 05, 2011
- How to detox - Delhi centres show the way - Aug 29, 2012
- Delhi told to pay damages for Tihar inmate's suicide - Feb 06, 2012
- Court awards Rs.10 lakh compensation to tycoon's widow - May 13, 2011
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Amar Singh's interim bail plea hearing Friday - Sep 08, 2011
- Apex court issues notice to IMA over doctors' strike - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: chronic diseases, criminal negligence, delhi government, delhi high court, differential treatment, face swelling, heart ailments, jail authorities, jail inmate, jail inmates, lakh, manjeet singh, medical examination, neha, petitioner, plea, rajiv, substantial effort, tihar jail, union home ministry