Court martial of retired senior army official stayedNovember 21st, 2008 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 21 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday stayed court martial proceedings against a retired lieutenant general on corruption charges for allegedly procuring poor quality food items for troops fighting insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir in 2004.The court martial proceedings against Lt Gen (retd) S.K. Sahni were scheduled Nov 26 at the 11 Corps headquarters in Jalandhar.
If the court martial had been held, Lt Gen (retd) S.K. Sahni would have been the seniormost army officer, serving or retired, to face such disciplinary proceedings under the Army Act.
A bench headed by Justice A.K. Sikri stayed the court martial proceedings for the interim period. The matter has been posted for further hearing in December.
The retired officer had served as the Director General (Supplies and Transport) in the army headquarters in Delhi and retired from the post in 2006. The supplies to troops serving across the country was under him.
Under the Army Act, any retired officer can be called back for court martial proceedings for offences committed during his service tenure that had come to light before or after his superannuation.
A court of inquiry probing the charges indicted Sahni along with six other officers, including a major general and two brigadiers, of corruption.
The other officers were let off.
- Avadesh Prakesh senior-most officer to be dismissed from Army (To go with 'Sukna scam: Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash dismissed from service') - Dec 03, 2011
- Former Indian Army general arrested after sentencing in court martial - Feb 19, 2011
- Sukna land scam: Lt.Gen. Avadesh Prakash sacked by court martial (Roundup) - Dec 03, 2011
- Rath fifth Lt. Gen. to face indiscipline charges - Jan 21, 2011
- Sukna scam: Lt.Gen. Avadesh Prakash dismissed from service - Dec 03, 2011
- Court summons former army chief in defamation case (Third lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Court defers hearing against army chief - May 08, 2012
- Defamation case: Bail for Gen. V.K. Singh, four officers (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Suit against army chief shifted to another judge - May 07, 2012
- Court reserves order on Tejinder Singh's plea (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Army ex-chief faces court, granted bail in defamation case (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Court to rule on summoning of army chief May 5 - Apr 26, 2012
- Tejinder's plea against army chief sent to another court (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Scams that rocked defence ministry since 2007 [To go with 'Bribe offer shocked me out of wits: Army chief (Lead)'] - Mar 26, 2012
- Former army chief opposes plea to cancel his bail - Aug 24, 2012