Court jails mother-son duo in PunjabMarch 27th, 2009 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Ludhiana (Punjab), March 27 (IANS) A mother-son duo arrested by Punjab Police Thursday for killing a university professor, who was their husband and father respectively, have been remanded to a day’s police custody by a court here Friday, police said.
According to the police, Simrat Singh (21) and his two accomplices reached his father’s house here Thursday morning and after an altercation, repeatedly stabbed him in the abdomen with a sharp-edged weapon outside the house.
The incident occurred in broad daylight in front of many neighbours but no one intervened and Simrat easily fled from the spot in a car. The deceased, Charanjit Singh Malhi (53), was rushed to hospital by his neighbours but he was pronounced dead by the doctors.
Harbhajan Singh, the investigating officer of the case told IANS, “Simrat was arrested by the police a few hours after he committed the crime. His mother Nimanjeet Kaur, who had come to Ludhiana to meet her lawyers, was also arrested for conspiring for her husband’s murder.”
Singh said that Nimanjeet was staying away from her husband for the past three years in Panchkula town in Haryana, around 100 kilometers from here, with her son and daughter. Their divorce case is pending in court.
Malhi, who was staying here with his mother Jaswant Kaur, was a professor of Zoology at Punjab Agriculture University in Ludhiana. Kaur later complained to the police against her grandson and his wife.
“Police have recovered the car used in the crime. We have sent our teams to nearby areas to nab the other two accused and to seize the weapon used in the crime,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Bhupinder Singh told IANS.
“There could be a possibility of involvement of more family members of Nimanjeet in the crime. We would try to ascertain all the details during the interrogation,” he added.
This was the third attack on Malhi by Simrat, who is described as a hard-core drug addict, in the last one month. There were also financial problems between the father and son for a long time, said a senior police official.
- Two double murders leave Ludhiana shocked - Feb 03, 2012
- Man stabs wife, flees - May 12, 2011
- Parents kill three kids, themselves over property dispute - Sep 14, 2012
- Sister's husband killed for 'honour' - Jun 26, 2011
- No arrests yet in MMS-linked Punjab double murder - Jan 14, 2012
- Cops to rely on boy of 8 in Haryana widows' lynching case - Apr 22, 2011
- Youth arrested for murdering four family members - Aug 13, 2010
- Spate of honour killings shakes up Punjab - Jul 14, 2011
- Parents kill son, wife - Dec 22, 2010
- Woman doctor, priest get life for judge's murder - Mar 30, 2012
- Six arrested for robbery in Delhi - Jun 16, 2012
- All about family in Punjab Congress this election - Jan 06, 2012
- Irked at illicit relationship, sons shoot mother-paramour dead - Jun 15, 2012
- Father abducts daughter, arrested - Aug 19, 2011
- Man kills mother, brother for money - Jun 29, 2012