Court issues notices to parties over their MPs’ duesDecember 3rd, 2008 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notices to various political parties over a number of former MPs’ failure to pay pending telephone and electricity bills running into millions of rupees. A division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S. Muralidhar issued notices to the respective political parties as well as the Election Commission and sought their responses by Jan 14, the next date of hearing.
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL), India Tourism Development Corporation Limited (ITDC) and the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) submitted fresh affidavits before the court and expressed their inability to collect pending dues for electricity, telephone, and water from a number of former MPs.
According to the affidavit, the MTNL and the NMDC are yet to recover respectively Rs.50 million and Rs.30 million from the MPs.
In its affidavit, the ITDC said the outstanding bills totalling Rs.800,000 are pending against the former MPs.
The court action came on a public interest petition seeking a direction to government agencies to take action against such former MPs and other politicians who had not paid house rent, telephone bills, electricity bills or charges for hospitality and other services enjoyed by them at government-owned hotels.
The court had earlier asked the government agencies to compile a party-wise list of the names of the defaulter former MPs.
- High court wants names of MPs not paying phone, power bills - Jul 22, 2009
- Court seeks list of MPs not paying phone, power bills - Aug 06, 2008
- Sitting, former MP owe MTNL over Rs.9 crore - Nov 22, 2011
- Rs.12 million dues pending against 10 Lok Sabha MPs - Sep 10, 2009
- MTNL Q3 loss drops to Rs.671.04 crore - Feb 11, 2011
- CWG scam: CBI files case against four MTNL officials - Jun 08, 2011
- School's power supply cut: Court slams government - Aug 30, 2012
- Apex court questions JNU on students' union poll - Nov 28, 2011
- Notice to NDMC on Khan Market traders' plea - Jul 08, 2011
- MTNL, BSNL merger proposal being examined - Aug 11, 2011
- Rs.5 crore damages for Australian challenged - Jul 19, 2011
- MTNL to provide JNU students 3G services - Jun 25, 2010
- No parking fee in Khan Market till June 6: Court - Jun 03, 2011
- Temporary free parking allowed in Khan Market of Delhi - Apr 08, 2011
- MTNL launches per second billing plan - Dec 01, 2009